Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Tale of Two Ten-Milers

I was spent a little bit on both days. Certainly, a lot more today in Clear Lake.

I didn't feel like I ran all that well on Saturday, but I still was within 1:23 of my 10-mile race PR set last December in Pearland (Fitness Solutions Jingle Jog 10 Miler).

Here are my splits from Saturday --

1 - 9:29.16 - too fast
2 - 9:53.77 - was talking with Tom Pinney from RTW, still too fast
3 - 11:09.52 - started to pay for it (this mile was long)
4 - 10:48.17 - lots of people passing me, not good
5 - 10:49.78 - was worrying about facing the sun on the way back
6 - 10:22.26 - it was cool and I finally relaxed a bit
7 - 10:28.62 - still cool and felt good, but not as strong as I have been
8 - 10:45.10 - blew the water off because the water stop was before the mile marker
9 - 10:35.08 - was worried that I was going to go over 1:44 chip time and that wouldn't have made for a good day
10 - 8:47.16 - saw Kim Hager, who was the first woman overall, as I turned into the Market Street complex as she was waiting for the runners that she, Debbie Tripp and Bill Dwyer coached specifically for that race.

I knew after this race though that I can get under 1:40 soon if I was able to run a 15K at 10:04/mile.

The weather sucked today in Clear Lake, but it wasn't anything that I hadn't run in before. I was simply gassed, especially after challenging Sarah, who I ran with for three miles, to finish the last mile in 10:30. (We missed by a couple of seconds.)

These were notes that I sent off after Sunday's race --

1 -- 10:55.73 -- i tried to keep it slow, but I thought that this was too slow for me
2 -- 10:34.26 - saw Stephen Stinemetz of Ft. Bend Fit go past me, but I also caught up to Cassie and Sarah (i knew he had done Ten For Texas the day before and I got him at the Surfside Beach Marathon)
3 -- 11:19.28 - slowed down and ran with Sarah
5K -- 1:10.52 - I was doing the math ... ugh, 11 minute mile
4 -- 10:02.04 -- Yep, 11:12 mile.
5 -- 10:34.77 -- Pushed Sarah to do the last mile under 10:30.

55:33.52 minutes 56.92 = 54:37 even

6 -- 11:57.08 -- Walked out of the 5-mile point totally gassed and then had a water stop before the mile marker
10K -- 2:46.46
7 -- 9:13.05 -- 11:59.51 mile. Ugh again. Mary Spurlock caught up and said Hi! She used me for a rabbit to push herself to her best 5-mile front half.
8 -- 12:07.11
9 -- 12:14.49 -- Andrea Chan caught me in this mile. We had a good conversation at the start and I was glad that we were able to feature her in October's Footprints. Last year, we walked the same stretch in the sweltering heat and humidity.
15K -- 3:51.03
10 -- 7:30.12 -- last mile was 11:21.15; Felix Lugo had walked back out and was offering encouragement to a number of runners

So 1:43:06 yesterday and 1:54:20 today! It is what it is.
More than likely Huntsville next Saturday.