Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

394 Runners at Run for Hans RTW 5K!

When I e-mailed founder Don Drewniak, who now lives in Delaware, this morning before I left to run a 10K in Mount Vernon, Washington, his response when I got back was, "Wow! I can't imagine that many runners on the pathways!" Nor do I.

While some push the limits of human endurance with their incredible individual feats, it is utterly amazing what can be accomplished by the collective human spirit especially when a child - and their health - is involved.

I've asked for all of those involved to share their experience of the day.

Pictures from The Woodlands Running Club president Scott Campbell are already online:

http://www.thewoodlandsrunningclub.org/Pic-o-week.htm

The first comes from Rick Cook of The Woodlands --

"I got to Barbara Bush Elementary about 6:45 and had to park in the church parking lot, which was almost full. I was working the registration table with (2-time Ironman) Nora Wilson. She had on her Boston Marathon jacket and I had on my Rocky Raccoon 100 Miler jacket.

"By 7:00 a.m., there was a line for runners and by 7:15 a.m., there was a line for the walkers. On the other side of the school closest to the playground was a line for donations and a raffle. I'm going to guess that approximately $2,000 was collected just in the running and walking line. That's guessing that the average donation was five dollars. There was a point when (Luke's Locker's) Susie (Schreiber) had to fix the cash in the black box, because it was overflowing.

"Five minutes later, we had to move the cash to a large zip lock bag.

"Susie moved the race to 8:15 a.m. just because the lines were still full at 8:00 a.m. By the time the race went off, the black box was full of cash again.

"Luke's had all of their big race gear out, including the speaker system and scaffolding both at the start and the finish line. As Susie was giving instructions, I climbed up to get some photos. There was a sea of people from the start all the back to the street.

"At the start, I ran to the first bridge before the park to get some pictures. After the first 20 racers went by, my camera needed batteries so I ran back to the finish area. There were still people completing the loop in the parking lot.

"As the runners were finishing, I started taking pictures. I must have clicked off at least 100 shots. I knew a bunch of people running the race including Seven Hills Running Club members, my two (2) next door neighbors, Dave Smart and his sons and Debbie Tripp, whose camera I was using and did not see any of them come through.

"They all later said they saw me snapping pictures. I do remember seeing the "COW" from Chick-Fil-A and Elvis was there to shake hands with the finishers as well.

"Some side notes included my neighbor Karen ran her first 5k in about 33 minutes and lost her license and some cash. A runner had found the license and cash and returned it to us at the registration table.

"Susie set up 3 Gatorade tubs and we threw 99% of it away. The starting temperature was about 47, clear with a random gust of wind.

"This race may get bigger because of the exposure of today's race."

Luke's Locker - The Woodlands store manager Susie Schreiber --

"Jon, you missed an awesome race!! All things considered (394 runners plus at least 200 walkers) the race went well.

"Hopefully you can make some sense of the results. I'm sure those people that care about their placement will let you know if they didn't get their info written down.

"It sure seems like we raised a lot of money. Beth Whitehead of Woodlands Fit will have the final tally

"Your wife and daughter gratiously volunteered to organize the waivers, cards, data, etc. Thanks to them!

"We also had many volunteers that did a great job. From the store, Mike Lucas and Andrew Perry put up the start and finish lines. David Smart and Mary Kershbaum helped at check-in and with the finish sticks.

"Rick Cook did an awesome job leading the check-in table. Scott Campbell, Bob Boscarino, Nora Wilson, Brad Schreiber, Debbie Tripp, Sharon Griggs, Sue Griffis, Michael Kove, Scott Wallace, your family and numerous Woodlands Fit & St. Anthony helpers.

"If I remember anyone else, I will email you. Beth Whitehead can get you additional volunteers and if I missed someone, please let me know."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home