Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Back Home, Back to Work

It is good to be home after being gone for almost two whole weeks, including two weekends. Yes, I got to run some neat races but none of it beats running with your daughter. :)

I had reason to be in Memorial Park this evening and I logged two laps.
One was timed. The other I didn't start the watch.

The one that was timed was 30:30.86 for 2.9 miles for a 10:31 per mile pace. I wasn't completely loosened up and felt slow. But I guess after being on an airplane for six hours -- delays leaving Vancouver because of wind and rain and arriving in Houston alsu due to excessive wind, it isn't that bad. (I would estimated the cardio effort at about 85%.)

The second loop was just to take it easy; therefore, the effort was around 70% until I approached the tennis center. A young lady passed me on the right just as I could hear tennis balls pounding against the wood boards on the other side of the chain link fence. She was, of course, much, much slender than I but she wasn't running any faster than probably about a 9:30-9:45 per mile pace.

I was finishing up about a half mile south of the mile 0 marker therefore I set a goal to overtake her by then -- it was a little bit of a challenge but I did with enough to spare that as I turned around to walk to the parking lot she was just then about a few steps from passing me. It was a good finish to the run. So .... 5.8 miles!

When I got home, I had planned a 2.1-mile run with Waverly. The wind had picked up out here in Spring and the temperature had dipped under the 60 degrees mark, making it feel a little cold. We both were bundled up a little - as we're both dealing with some colds and sinus drainage.

She had her first Upward basketball practice Monday night at our church, North Park Baptist Church. So with me being home for all but one week through the remainder of the year and she already being signed up for the Houston Press/Smart Financial 5K on Sunday, January 14th, I told her that it was time that we helped each other out.

About 6-7 weeks ago at school in PE, they started to run the track a bit. The first time that they did it, she almost made it to five (5) times around in 20 minutes. Dad did the math and figured that her fitness level was about where mine was.

But to her credit - and her making straight A's for the second six weeks last Friday, she completed seven (7) laps on Monday in the same amount of time.

We had a good talk -- just Dad and daughter. It is a chance for me to be even more candid with her because it is a fun, relaxed environment and we're aren't officially training for anything like we were last year.

There was no time objective this evening. We just ran with a goal to run the entire time -- and that is what we did. Never stopping to walk at all. I was impressed with her effort.

The 2.1 miles went by in 27:56.02 -- a 13:18 per mile pace or a 41:19 5K.

I bet she can beat her PR -- 35:56.87 -- by January 14, 2007. What do you think?

(Heck, I almost forgot. I went to Bally's afterwards and logged another 40 minutes on the stationary bike.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home