Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, November 13, 2006

An Incredible Story From the Run For Hans 5K

An incredible story from Saturday's "Run For Hans" Run The Woodlands 5K was shared to me by e-mail from one of the many individuals who worked the registration table.

I don't want to embarass the person that told me the story nor the subject, but it reminded me of one of the many parables that Jesus communicated in the Bible. The following scripture, Luke 21:1-4, tells the story of the widow's mite:

Luke 21
1 And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.
2 And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:
4 For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

The registration worker shared with me the following story from Saturday morning:

"A young woman (early 20s?) gave me a check for $180.

"I asked her, "HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE YOU REGISTERING?!"

"She looked me straight in the eye and said, "It's just me. It's what I had in my checking account and is all I could give".

"She moved me to tears."

And when I was sharing this story with my wife on the phone Sunday morning as I returned from a very wet and cold 10K in Surrey, British Columbia, I couldn't help but choking up with emotion as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

OMG- that was the lesson in yesterday's homily at church!!! same verse!!!

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - that story moved me to tears too! I managed to keep my composure throughout most of the Run for Hans - but the size of peoples' hearts is really amazing!
Thank to that young woman and everyone out there on Saturday morning.
With love, Lara Weberling
(Hans' mom)

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home