Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Happy Veterans Day!

It is Remembrance Day here in Canada and, of course, Veterans Day in the United States of America.

In my family, my grandfather, Wilbur F. Walk, Jr., fought in the Army in World War II and was at D-Day + 2. He was in Europe at the end of the war and spent at least six months in Pilsan, Czechoslovakia working on the Armed Forces Radio Network.

My Dad, Wilbur F. Walk, III, served in the United States Marine Corps from 1966 to 1968 and was stationed at Camp Pendleton, California, but was never called over to action during the Vietnam War.

My father-in-law, Leonard Broadrick, was an Army medic during the Vietnam War and saw action overseas.

Andy Stewart of Finish Line Sports e-mailed many sharing with us those associated with FLS who were serving or had served in the U.S. military:

"I want to wish a Happy Veterans Day to those who are veterans.

"Chris Rode, 31, former FLS employee as a kid, is currently serving in Baghdad. The former Stafford coach just had a birthday. Safety be with him. His wife is waiting for him.

"My Dad, Tom Stewart of Sugar Creek, 76, was an Army Lt. in Korea. In August he celebrated 50 years of marriage to Patricia. Native of Lufkin, Tx.

"FLS race assistant Mike Hefner, 56, served in Vietnam. He still has the can-do spirit. Man, Mike can sell some shoes too.

"To all veterans, enjoy this beautiful clear day that is yours. Thanks for your service to and for the United States of America."

Andy summed it up well and my thoughts are the same!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home