Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Run To The Rose Bowl

Yes, it was dark out; however, I got to see the outside of the Rose Bowl! But I have to say that there wasn't much to it! Perhaps my perspective will be a little bit different in the daylight.

6.3 miles in 1:07:02 on this route. 10:38 per. Nothing to write home about. Slow, steady inclines to mile 3. Pasadena is just below the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, which contains the Angeles National Forest.

This after being completely wiped out Monday after work and emotionally overwhelmed last evening. I was hoping to go a little bit longer, but maybe just a few more before Friday morning.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wrote "As I said in the comments of the last, most contentious post (to some), all it sometimes would take is a phone call to say "let's sit down in person and see if I can address some of your issues."

Why would anyone call someone (such as yourself) to "address" your issues with let's say the Houston Marathon? Or any issues for that matter? Aren't you just an average joe like the rest of us? Are your concerns any more important than the rest (if we had any).

This blog has done nothing but confuse the hell out of me ever since I began occasionally reading it. After your continual bashing of the Houston Chevron Marathon and then crawfishing each and every time you get challenged, I am done. And come to think of it I thought you were too.

Stop the bleeding.

6:39 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I'm sorry that you see my bashing of the Chevron Houston Marathon includes asking why the Marathon Committee reported gains on their '05 and '06 tax returns of close to $200,000 each year and sit with a $1 million in net assets and are STILL raising prices.

I haven't crawfished on that issue at all - and won't. I asked that issue via e-mail of the Director before I reported it on the Chronicle blog and I got no response.

I was told at the HARRA Summer Celebration that the Committee doesn't like any criticism whatsoever. I found that out when I asked in writing a piece for the September issue of Footprints about the elite athlete program and why the overall numbers of invites were being reduced.

After I spoke with a representative that was dispatched to quell my concern, I was asked to review the article before I ran it Footprints. I didn't have to, but I obliged.

Was Roberta's column reviewed by the Marathon before it was published last Thursday, I highly doubt it.

I don't and will not ever subscribe to the theory that the Marathon should just be given a pass to do as they please.

They don't have to answer me, but at the same time don't come running and challenging me here. To me, it's saying one thing and doing another.

Actually, it is comments like this that keep me fired up and around.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve run Houston 14 times and I don’t like some of the changes this year especially the very early escalation of the entry fees. Houston will still be a great race and will set all kinds of participation records. For future events I hope the race management doesn’t lose sight of what has made Houston a great event…. the attention to the participant. Little things like the July increase are not customer service minded.

I don’t see your comments about Houston as bashing the event. You care a lot about our hometown event and want to see it become much better. If you lived in Austin or Dallas or wherever you would be pushing them to be better just as hard. While I don’t agree with some of your views I appreciate your passion for our sport and all you do behind the scenes that you don’t get credit for. (and don’t want credit for).

I actually won’t be running Houston this year as I have other races planned. I will still be out on the course cheering and supporting.

8:10 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Sure, it was kind of incredulous to me that while the Half Marathon was helping carrying the financial load of the event, the winners of the various categories couldn't be found on the website - or in the results book.

I didn't notice this until Bonnie Jo Barron, one of local runners, won the masters division of the half marathon in 2006.

Immediately, I produced a list, posted it here on this blog and then sent it to the Chevron Houston Marathon.

After that, I also realized that the wheelchair winners weren't listed. To me, that was even a bigger injustice, especially when the Marathon used to have competitive races in that division.

So did I sit and whine about it? No. I spent hours online and in the library, researched the winners and gave it to the Marathon.

Would the average joe do that? No.

Did I ask for anything from the event? No. In fact, when there was mention about attributing certain statistics in the media guide to me, I asked for them not to be or if it had to happen, give credit to HARRA.

Also a Houston Fit coach wrote the Marathon asking if they had any data on the historical temperatures. I was e-mailed by the Director and it was information that I already obtained because I saw the format used in the Chicago Marathon Media Guide, which I used as a guide to format data to send to the Marathon. Again, I sent it willingly and asked that HARRA be given the credit. (I don't need it, but HARRA could use it.)

I won't quit asking why and will also look for opportunities to recognize people for their accomplishments.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home