Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Quick Update

Seems like I've been the topic of discussion lately and I have an official group of haters!

What fun! Comes with the spot light, I guess. Have to get the thick skin of Richard Justice, Jerome Solomon and those guys. (Here come the e-mails!)

There are some people who didn't enjoy getting shut off from here and making anonymous attacks. I will say this, though, that as a result of it - which was some very ugly shit, there may be some progress out of it. I won't say any more, and in fact, I probably won't be blogging too much period. (Or it will be a stealth one. I can do it. It'll be like an adventure race!)

I'm working on the October edition of Footprints right now. My Conroe Courier column ran today instead of this past Sunday. I've got a column coming up in October in Runner Triathlete News. I'll get some haters from that one, but it involves my daughter!

Speaking of Waverly, she's got two cross country meets coming up, but I'll keep the dates and locations to myself. I'm telling you, the people giving me grief would have enough balls to show up at a meet and attempt to make things ugly - and these folks call themselves the best that the running community has to offer? I think not.

Waverly's volleyball gets going tomorrow night. It will be her first game, and Dad is in Pasadena, California. Kind of stinks. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I need them on multiple fronts right now. I got some relief today from a couple of stresses this afternoon so there's no doubt, in my mind, that God is concerned about how much I can reasonably handle.

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Good luck to Waverly with her CC meets. I know how much I enjoyed watching Ben run CC. Nic and I signed up to run the 2 mile open race at The Woodlands Friday night lights CC meet, but the open event was rain delayed out. so we ran a couple of loops around Bear Branch Park just for fun. Glad to see there is some light shining behind the clouds.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You spend more time thinking and blogging about the people who disagree with you than its worth. You've got to let it stop bothering you and just do your own thing.

10:29 AM  
Blogger doug spence said...

Agree with Sarah.

If you keep reacting to them, you'll become like them. A grumpy asshole.

6:05 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

You both are right. I keep forgetting that I unintentionally bring some of this on by being out in the public eye (promoting the sport).

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home