Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Book Buying

I hate to let a gift card or two .. or three ... sit around and burn a hole on the desk. So this afternoon, I was off to Barnes & Noble and Borders in The Woodlands to redeem them.

The potential opportunity was $87.01 at Barnes & Noble and $30 at Borders. The plan at Barnes & Noble was to get about five or six paperbacks - ranging in price from about $14 to $16.

After I had the prospects picked out (books by Lou Holtz, Mike Schmidt, Bill "Spaceman" Lee and a few others), I decided to go to plan "B" and get three hardbacks - those that I normall wouldn't buy with my own money - and a paperback. The selections were:

+ Breaker Boys: The NFL's Greatest Team and the Stolen 1925 Championship by David Fleming
+ Twelve Mighty Orphans by Jim Dent
+ Meat Market by Bruce Feldman
+ About Three Bricks Shy ... And The Load Filled Up by Roy Blount, Jr.

All four - ironically - are football books. The first is on the Pottsville (Pa.) Maroons - a story that I had read about in a book review and decided that I'd get. I'm really looking forward to reading this.

The Jim Dent book is about the football program at the Masonic Home School in Fort Worth in the 1930s and 1940s. Given that it is about Texas High School Football, and especially since the school has since closed, I thought that this will be a good read as well.

I heard "Meat Market" referenced during the USC vs. Illinois Rose Bowl game, and, of course, "About Three Bricks Shy ..." is about the 1973 Pittsburgh Steelers team that failed to reach the Super Bowl.

So with my Barnes & Noble discount, the total came to $82.05. Subtract a $27.01 in-store credit on a return book, a $25 gift certificate and another $35 gift certificate, I was left with $4.96 on the current card.

When Waverly and I went to Borders, I figured that I'd break the mold of the complete sports realm, especially when there was a "buy one paperback and get the next paperback half off" offer. So I got the following three books for a grand total of $1.38:

+ The Word Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century by Thomas L. Friedman
+ Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ by Daniel Coleman
+ 2003 The Best American Sports Writing edited by Buzz Bissinger

The latter came from the bargain rack, but the other two are current topic books that I probably need to be reading more of as I tack on another year on the age counter in a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home