Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Very Busy!

To those of you who check here regularly as to what is going on, I've been very, very busy.

It has just been an incredibly busy time for me. Workouts? I ran and rode the stationery bike last Thursday, Friday and Saturday (including on my birthday!)

Sunday, I was in church and then my parents took me out to eat at Pappasito's while my grandparents were still in town. I flew out to L.A. Sunday night and didn't do anything until Wednesday night when I ran 90 minutes on the treadmill before following it up with a 45-minute run on Thursday night.

I flew the "red eye" in Friday morning and went straight over to Terminal B to surprise Kim Hager, who was leaving on a Continental flight to Phoenix to get her Olympic Trials qualifying time tomorrow at the P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Marathon in Arizona.

The last two days have been spent at the Chevron Houston Marathon Expo. Doug Spence and I went out to eat at the Spaghetti Warehouse with Texas Indepedence Relay race directors Jay and Joy Hilscher and their son, Austin. We had a great time!

The one cool thing about tomorrow's Chevron Houston Marathon is that I'll have "RIP J Fred" on my white marathon bib and, of course, this is for the Marathon's former public address announcer, J Fred Duckett.

I had some friends told me that there was "no way" that I'd be given that. Well, for some reason, I was and I'll carry a microphone with me the entire race if I can to memorialize my good friend, J Fred Duckett. (There'll be some that will think that I'm with Channel 13 tomorrow. Don't worry. I won't show up on there. They'll be in to Sunday afternoon movies before I finish.)

If you're up late or early, have a great run on Sunday, if you're running!

2 Comments:

Blogger doug spence said...

Good luck, Jon.

Funny to note that with the time zone change, Kim will still be finished before you and I even though we have a 2 hour head start.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Gaslight ;-) said...

Happy birthday, Jon!

How did it go?

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home