Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Motivation

Nothing like bad race pictures to piss you off and realize that you can do better. Mind you, Karen Thibodeaux's pictures weren't bad at all. It is just that I looked bad in them. They are the worst that I've seen - next to a picture with Jim Braden before the Leadville Heavy Half in Colorado last July - of myself.

And, no, I'm not going to give you the link to go look at them either!

Well, and realizing that I should (and could) have caught somebody - a good friend, Becky Spaulding - that I know on Tuesday. She finished in 5:16:23 and I finished in 5:22:19. I let her go beyond the mile 22 mark and the last aid station on the way out to the turnaround at Tuesday's Texas Marathon.

The trip to Mississippi this weekend to log another state in half marathons is out. (It was aided by the fact that I needed to be in Jackson tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. to be at what I'm sure wasn't going to be a very large Expo.) The money that I would have spent in travel costs will be better applied elsewhere.

Specifically, it went into the $50 entry fee that I spent today for the February 1st Rocky Raccoon 50-Mile Endurance Trail Run. Yes, I'm in! I may get my ass handed back to me, but I've got the best friends in the world to call upon when I'll need them. (And both Karen and Bill said that they would log miles with me there, if needed.) But I've got to get ready for this as my own thing.

One of my other very good friends - and we've had a rough spot or two because we're probably so damn alike in different ways - Rick Cook finished in the same time as me three years ago at the Chevron Houston Marathon. (Oh, it was still hp then.) We're in the same finish line shot! But Rick has worked his ass off - and it showed in Kingwood on Tuesday - and will make us all proud in June when he finishes Western States 100 (or die trying). I need to get closer to where he's at and if I do that, that'll get Bill back in the game.

I've got 29 days to get ready for Rocky. It's 5:10 p.m. and I'm off to the gym.

After winning Run Thru The Woods on Thanksgiving Day, Flower Mound's Andrew Cook told me after I was done interviewing that it was "good to see that I had a number on". I can do better. There's no reason why I can't be a better runner, who also happens to be a journalist.

(I sent e-mail to Kelly Liljeblad and Brian Sell early this morning to get responses for the RunHouston Chronicle blog. Nothing in my e-mail as of yet.)

3 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Yeah for you!! I am so excited for you, Jon! I'll be there to cheer you on and run if need be!

3:35 PM  
Blogger doug spence said...

You could do it with or without your excellent support staff.

I just hope you don't do any races between CHM and Rocky.

Good luck.

12:35 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

One of my advisers has highly recommended that I didn't and just concentrate on long, slow stuff after the marathon.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home