Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ramp Romp 17 5K Race Report

Today was the day to have some fun in Aggieland at the Ramp Romp 17 5K, which is held annually at Kyle Field. (I, of course, was wearing my Penn State running shirt!)

I did not step out on the grass for the fear of a hundred corps of cadets coming to draw their sabres on me like they did SMU's cheerleaders (from back in the 1981).

The Ramp Romp 17 5K is put on by the school's Department of Recreational Sports. (I might add that they did an excellent job in every way, shape and form.)

Starting with a 3/4 run around the "track"-like surface that surrounds the football field, we exited Kyle Field for almost a mile before entering the circular-looking ramp that goes up the southeast corner of the stadium. Somewhere up the 17 ramps was the first mile marker and I hit that in 10:56.46. I figured I'd make it up on the downhill.

Once you reached the top, you'd run 100 yards to the NE ramp and run down it.

You'd repeat this process on the not-as-tall North End Zone ramps, followed by running up the SW ramp, 100 yards to the south and then back down the SW ramp.

Once you came off the final ramp, you then ran approximately 250 meters to the finish on the east side of Kyle Field.

Just before I crossed the finish line, I hollered, "We are ..." And after stepping across the finish line and pressing the button on my watch, I proudly said, "...Penn State." There was a collective groan from the Aggies' Men's Lacrosse team that was helping the event out before their 1 p.m. contest against TCU.

Waverly was close to the finish line and heard it as well. It was completely worth the drive!

After I finished the race and got a bottle of water, a cute, young television reporter with KBTX asked if she could interview me. I said, "As long as you get the Penn State logo on TV." She said that she was from Lancaster County and that she asked me because of my Penn State shirt. I told her that I was born in Altoona and was from Tyrone.

She asked me a couple of questions, but I did reply that if Coach Darnell would have had the football players running the ramps that they wouldn't lost to Penn State in the Alamo Bowl.

I suppose I'll find out later tonight when my e-mail box is full if it made it to air or not. :)

Always good to gig the Ags!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home