Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wednesday Night Treadmill

After walking from the Marriott Courtyard here to Barnes and Noble to pick up a copy of Sports Illustrated (no, not the swimsuit issue) and the Economist, I came back and got on the treadmill for an hour.

I need to repeat the feat tomorrow night after not doing anything for the last two evenings.

I had a post up a little earlier that I pulled back to draft mode because I wasn't sure exactly how it would come across. I think I need to preface it before I put it back out there. Over the past three years, Bill Dwyer and I have become pretty good friends and I feel like we've been able to get some things done - with some help - and will continue to do lots more.

We are continually giving each other a hard time, but we do it in complete fun. We both revel in it. And yes, I tease him mercilessly about getting back into the running game, and he will. And when he does, look out! As I've said before, Bill's got wheels. It is just the endurance that'll be put to test next weekend. However, I have this sneaky feeling Bill will be ready.

We trade e-mails back and forth constantly. Trading bits of information. And so on.

We've even established a business with the state of Texas. It is simply known as "Friends of the Running Community, L.L.C." It came about when we were pushing the Montgomery County Triple and Run Thru The Woods race director Roxanne Davis asked how to describe who was behind the effort. She simply put on their web site that it was an effort by friends of the running community - which is true.

We felt like we had an absolute coup of an event that started as an idea late last spring and that was to bring Bill Rodgers to The Woodlands to race Jeff Wells 30 years after their legendary duel in Boston. It would have been a 10K on the roads before the start of the Nike South High School Cross Country meet in October; however, Bill's friend, legendary marathoner and Distance Hall of Fame member Greg Meyer, wanted Bill to attend an event in Michigan that the folks that put on the Crim 10-Miler were putting together.

We could not get a road course approved by Montgomery County before Meyer kept pushing Rodgers to go to Michigan, and we were reluctant to send Bill his $3,500 fee - in advance - until we got the course approved.

We wanted to do something that was "cool", but also to honor Jeff Wells, The Woodlands cross country and track coach Dan Green (who turned 60 yesterday) and really provide an event that was over the top for the high school cross country runners. Bill had agreed to run the Open Race on Friday night and we were to have them speak to everyone that evening, appear in a running specialty store on Saturday afternoon, attend a TWRC social that night and then do a community run on Sunday morning (for all runners to attend) before flying back to Boston that evening.

But it was really Meyer that was pushing Rodgers. Bill is the nicest big name guy that you'd ever want to get to know. There had been many mornings here in Pasadena that I'd have been up for a little bit and I'd get a call from Bill Rodgers. One conversation, he said, "Yeah, I saw Sean (Wade) in Bermuda last week. He's really running well." And I pinching myself thinking, "I'm talking to one of the great all-time marathoners."

Other opportunities will come our way, and we'll have fun doing them.

And that is how we got into the Texas Independence Relay!

Now if you didn't understand all of that, you might think that the post that I'll put up some time on Thursday sounds a tad bit overconfident. It really isn't. It is just the type of humor and razzing that Bill, Rick Cook, Doug Spence and I give each other via e-mail. We occasionally pull others into the fray - like Andrew Perry or Kim Hager - dependent on the subject matter. The bottom line is that we're having fun. Something that some of the "serious runners" may never understand.

And if people can only find the one thing that they like about me is my daughter, I have no problem with that! :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill D said...

I thought the post was fun. You should re-post it. We're still going over logistics at Gooses Sunday afternoon. We might have someone with Andrews tendencies in the group so we're not taking chances.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Bill D said...

No "wheels" next week. I had no snap at the track Tuesday.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Economist is my favorite biz magazine.

Word verification: "texchic"

10:54 AM  
Blogger K said...

I kept trying to comment on your post last night and it wouldn't accept it. I wonder if it was because you had put it back into draft mode as I was typing it!

What a bummer about the fall running event. I know something else will come up though!!

You guys are both great! It's nice to know that this area has Jon and Bill are here to help the running community...

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home