Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Friday Night Treadmill at Bally's

My routine on Friday night - after flying in from LAX is typically: Make it to Bally's, run on the treadmill, come home and shower and then have a daughter-Dad date with Waverly (usually it has been at IHOP).

Any of you that have known me for any length of time know how proud I am of Waverly, and it is a time that I can focus in on helping her currently, talk about what's coming up in her life and share some pearls of wisdom for her future. I'm very glad that God's given me the opportunity to do such a thing. I've shared with her many time that while my parents provided for me and my sister very well and are a large part of the reason why I am how I am today, I never recalled the one-on-one time that she and I share.

Now to the secondary stuff: 60 minutes, nice and easy. I've got to work on building the mileage. I didn't get the job done last night, but I felt refreshed even though I didn't sleep on the plane this afternoon coming home.

I did the first 30 minutes at 4.3 mph and the last 30 minutes at 4.5 mph (while reading all of Runner Triathlete News and getting a good way through the March edition of Inside Texas Running). The very last minute, I ramped it up - for me - to 6.0 mph and it felt pretty good. I thought to myself that there will be a day that I'll be able to run all 60 minutes at that pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home