Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Germantown Half Marathon Coming Up This Weekend

This half marathon on Sunday, just east of Memphis, Tennessee, will get me to my 21st state (with one Canadian province in addition). It will leave me within striking distance of being able to add my name to the list of the seven (7) "completers" of the half2run.com competition -- "running half the marathon in half the states".

Those seven "completers" are as follows:

48 - Ira Gardner, New York, NY
41 - Eileen Fannon, Atlanta, GA
33 - Amelia Kushneruk, Schererville, IN
33 - Carol Goslin, Kansas City, MO
30 - Patrick Morein, The Woodlands, TX (TWRC member)
26 - Mike Liggett, Raleigh, NC
26 - Douglas Bradley, Dearborn, MI

Three runners are sitting on 24. Two more are on 23, including Georgetown, Texas' Pat Neff.

Two more are at 22, while Rockwall, Texas' Maggie Mount and I are sitting at 21.

Had I known exactly when my project were going to end before I made all of my travel arrangements, I would have squeezed in California. This way, when I did a double the first weekend of April, adding Kansas and Missouri to the ledger, I would have been another completer!

People probably wonder how I can do this. They might even be thinking, "Man, Walk must be loaded." No, of course not. However, the business travel helps pave the way to be able to make these things happen.

Hotel (Residence Inn, Memphis East) -- FREE (Marriott Rewards points)
Race registration fee -- $48.70
Car rental -- $28.68 (33% of which are taxes and fees)
Airport parking at IAH - $12.00 (two days to leave truck at outlying lots)
Airfare -- $42.50 (even though I'm using reward miles - $35 for making reservation within 14 days and $7.50 for taxes and fees)

Sure, it is a little bit of money; however, it isn't necessarily much more than what I spent two weekends ago for the TIR. So when you see me do some of these things, don't think that I'm breaking the bank to do so. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Running is cheaper than most other adult hobbies and it is a healthy endeavor.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home