Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Brief Saturday Update

I am in Oklahoma City this evening for tomorrow morning's 8th annual Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon and no, I'm not running the half again this year.

Earlier today, I left Spring at 4 a.m. to witness the USA Track and Field National Masters 10K Championship and to see Norman Langwell, Jr., of Huntsville, run in the Texas Roundup 10K.

I saw Sean Wade, of Houston, and Colleen DeReuck, of Colorado, win their respective national championships. The Tornados' Miguel Lopez, Terlingua's Ino Cantu and the Striders' Sabra Harvey all competed.

Norman received his award from Governor Perry on Friday and beat him on the course on Saturday. Langwell, Jr. covered the tough 10K course in 47:38 while the Governor, who wasn't wearing a chip it seems, did indeed come in behind Norman. Norman's son, Colton, ran the course in 53:38 and was fourth in his age group.

Seven Hills' Garland Spivey, 45, of Huntsville also finished in 1:00:12.

Norman's daughters, Chantel, 15, and Deanna, 13, both ran the 5K and finished in 32:51 and 32:55, respectively, to both finish fourth in their age groups. His wife, Millie, 34, finished in 40:22.

Then I got in the car and drove to Oklahoma City. Yes, I know. Crazy, but we only live once. Got here at about 3 p.m., and was registered shortly thereafter.

I spoke with the Chevron Houston Marathon's Jan Nierling, Dallas White Rock Marathon's Marcus Grunwald and Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon co-founder Thomas Hill III.

So there you have it. We'll now see what tomorrow holds.

I heard Karen Felicidario - from Bill, of course - like Katy a few weeks ago busted a gut (not that she has one, mind you) and nailed a healthy new 5K PR of 26:29 at Run The Woodlands 5K today.

And then reading Karen's report, I see that Holden cracked 24 minutes with a 23:53.

Maybe our TIR team will go sub 31 in March 2009. Right Edwin? ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

geez...i guess.

9:15 PM  
Blogger K said...

Edwin is going to carry us to a 30 hour finish!!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home