Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Partial Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon Race Report

I thought of something on the course: "I might not be fast, but I finish and finish often." :)

Marathon No. 18 is in the books. My 11th state and I think this is my fourth best marathon ever behind Austin '06 (4:47:32), Houston '05 (4:55:08) and Little Rock '06 (5:03:02). It is. I just double checked. :)

My time, according to the race website, is 5:08:30 -- and it could have been a little better as I spent about four minutes at mile 20 taking my wind shirt off, trying to get a Larabar opened and having to settle for Gu, tying the shirt around my waist and putting my gloves back on.

And to consider that I drove to Austin yesterday morning, watched a race there and then drove here, slept for about 3 hours, got something to eat (not the healthiest, but it filled me up), slept for about another 4.5 hours and then went to run this morning.

I'm pleased as punch. If certain people still had access to the blog, they'd say, critically, "look at what you could do if you really, really trained" and you know they're actually right - but they wouldn't do it with tact. And that's their character flaw.

However, my goal is to go out and be able to run a 5-hour marathon anytime I want (and that is if I'm keeping up a regular workout schedule, which I kind of have been lately).

Mile 1 -- 10:26.35 (hit my watch before the actual spot ... there was a flag that was before where the clock and the marker on the road)
Mile 2 -- 11:53.48 (so mile 1 was short on my watch and this mile, which included an overpass and a slight incline, was long)
Mile 3 -- 10:28.56 (but I think that there could have been a long and short thing going on)
Mile 4 -- 11:04.48
Mile 5 -- 10:52.86
Mile 6 -- 11:13.34
Mile 7 -- 11:05.58
Mile 8 -- 10:38.35
Mile 9 -- 11:28.31
Mile 10 -- 11:12.04
Mile 11 -- 11:40.09
Mile 12 -- 10:59.91
Mile 13 -- 12:08.39 (took two minutes of walking to get a Larabar in me)
Mile 14 -- 11:34.63 (weird; included an overpass and a stiff headwind going north next to Lake Hefner)
Mile 15 -- 11:53.06
Mile 16 -- 11:18.63
Mile 17 -- 12:05.35
Mile 18 -- 12:18.59 (walked the overpass at the start of mile 17)
Mile 19 -- 12:13.67 (was trying to keep these close because 12-minute miles is a 5:12)
Mile 20 -- 11:27.01
Eqp Adj -- 4:45.99 (see above)
Mile 21 -- 11:02.23 (so was still running well)
Mile 22 -- 11:57.58 (really felt empowered here, but knew 5:06 was about the best I could do)
Mile 23 -- 12:06.85 (still was feeling OK here)
Mile 24 -- 12:26.60 (at this point, I was starting to feel gassed)
Mile 25 -- 14:21.48 (this had an uphill that I walked ... if I had Edwin there like at Surfside '06, I could have shaved a couple of minutes off here)
Mile 26 -- 11:34.00
Last .2 -- 2:16.03

I'm really, really happy about this race (not sure now about the drive home!)

Norman talked about in the article that Roberta MacInnis wrote in the Chronicle about running a few miles to burn off a burger. Well, they had an OK Carl, Jr.'s burger at the finish line -- I figured I earned it today. :)

Many times I thought about trying to keep it between the pace that I was running laps at the track on Tuesday nights and the JSP pace. What's the JSP pace? That was from last Tuesday night and it is the "Juliee Sparks (is) Pregnant" pace. I wish I could document all of the things that I think about during the race. It might be pretty scary and interesting all at the same time.

This course is not flat and today there was a lot of wind so that just adds to my enthusiasm.

Plus that gets me to 20 marathon or longer races on the Seven Hills Running Club Marathon Honor Roll, which will allow for me to tie Ben Harvie in something with another marathon finish.

I lost this the first time, so I hope I restated it right. I just wanted to say thank you for being the best set of friends that anybody can have. I'm so blessed to have the friendships that I have through this sport. Some days it feels like an incredible responsibility; however, you all have been here to help when I've needed it and when I run a race like I did today, many of you go through my mind and I can't wait to share it with all of you. And not to get a "Hooray!", but I hope that if I can do something like this, you can be inspired to do even more and bring others into the sport as well.

9 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

ya know, i think it's pretty cool some of the things you do. nice running today. sorry i asked such a dumb question when you called. really shouldn't have asked, "are you done already?" ooops.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Crosstrain said...

Fantastic Jon. I'm awed by your endurance. Believe me, cycling the MS150 is much easier than doing any marathon.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

unless you're me, Joe. Obviously, cycling the MS150 was WAY harder than the marathon for me.

Jon- you seem to keep a consistant pace which is something I need to improve on at that distance. I do well through 18 and then drop off significantly.
Congrats on a strong finish.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

On demand marathon. That's pretty cool. I wish I had on demand endurance to do that. But no. Marathon still intimidates me.

7:15 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Joe, thanks. You commented on Sarah's blog about the cycling endurance parlaying into her relay experience. I'm beginning to think if I hammer away at the stationery bike (while the real bike would be best) that I may continue to see long-distance benefits.

Cassie, I haven't been consistent like I was on Sunday. However, I've been working on this at the track on Tuesday nights to just get a nice, steady rhythm. It is boring as hell, but it seems to have paid off.

Holden, and what's even more incredible is the weight that I still carry. Can't figure it out. Certainly, if I were you, I'd talk to Bill, but perhaps you just need to resolve to not try to come close to your half marathon PR - let's say - in the first half of a marathon and back off of it. I was 2:26/2:42 on Sunday. Closer to 2:26/2:37-2:38 when you take out the clothes adjustment. I'd really like that to be closer to 50-50 or 45-55 - and then work on reducing the times. We'll see. Something to shoot for.

11:15 AM  
Blogger doug spence said...

No telling what would happen if you were a SERIOUS runner.

Nice job, though.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job Jon! Your marathons are always inspiring!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Vince A. said...

Very well run!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Norman said...

Way to go Jon. Someday Ill catch you and Ken. I hope. LOL, Training is the way though brother.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home