Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Slow Run The Woodlands 5K; Pub Crawl Scratch

I rolled out of bed at approximately 7:20 a.m., told Waverly we were leaving in 10 minutes and was soon on our way toward Barbara Bush Elementary in The Woodlands. This was how I did things the first year that I ever ran any events at all.

I laughed when I saw Vincent Attanucci and he told me that he had done RTW 5K at least 65 times and that this morning was the longest that he went before he saw somebody he knew!

There were a lot of young men and women from Concordia Lutheran High School in Tomball that were probably doing the event this morning as a time trial for the upcoming cross country season. (I'm looking forward to going out Friday night to the Friday Night Lights cross country meet in The Woodlands myself.)

I almost threw in the towel on this race this morning as I started the first loop. I was hurting from yesterday's workouts, especially the muscles which run up the top of the leg in the groin area. I really felt the left one of those after swimming yesterday.

But the miles, without injury, will make me a little tougher I hope. The humidity didn't do us any favors today either. So today stunk from a time perspective!

Mile 1 -- 9:31.26
Mile 2 -- 10:14.59
Mile 3 -- 10:32.79
Last .1 -- 57.31
Total -- 31:15.95

I chatted with Tom Sherwood, Wayne Rutledge and Tracy MacEwan after the race for a little bit as well as Tom McHale, Vincent and his son, Michael. (Vincent said that he wasn't going to do a 10K next Saturday unless he got into the 21s this morning. I guess he'll be going to Alvin - or perhaps Milano, based on what I was telling him.)

[A sidenote here. Tom Sherwood is going to write a piece for "Deer Tracks" about his experience at the U.S. Olympic Trials in early July and how what he saw there led to what took place in Beijing the last two weeks.]

I also ran RTW this morning with nothing in me, which probably isn't the best thing. Therefore, Waverly and I stopped at Egg and I for breakfast before we made it home. That decision made for me to be a scratch from today's Bay Area Running Club Pub Crawl.

It is something that I enjoy, but I also only know a handful of people (good people, nonetheless.) And Wayne is one of those people and he said he wasn't going down. Plus Bill Dwyer said he needed to complete a project for his wife, Sandy, or he'd be in the dog house. (I think it was a way of getting out of running seven miles - even though it is a start and stop affair.)

So I may rest up, go to the gym and bike for an hour, then plan my drive to Dallas early in the morning for tomorrow's Hottest Half Marathon. I'm also looking forward to watching the Men's Olympic Marathon this evening as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

As I ran past Jay on the course of the tri this morning, he asked if I was pub crawling. I told him considering I felt like death at that moment (about 4.75 miles into the run), probably not. :) One of these years I do really want to go!

2:01 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I really wanted to go down as well, but I would have really been wasted with a drive to and from Dallas (with a half marathon in between).

I probably could have done it if I hadn't done the workout yesterday.

But I needed my nap this afternoon too. ;)

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home