Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Weekend Workouts / General Information

The last two nights (Thursday and Friday) in the gym, I've watched - while riding the stationary bike (after running) - Michael Phelps win golds no. 6 and 7 as well as Dara Torres winning her semifinal in the 50-meter women's freestyle.

So what have I done the last three days?

Thursday - An hour run on the treadmill plus 20 minutes on the bike.
Friday - An hour run on the treadmill plus 20 minutes (hard) on the bike followed by another 10 minutes (easy, cardio) there as well.
Today - An hour run on the treadmill.

I almost pulled the trigger on going to run a half marathon that started at 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning Pacific time northwest of Las Vegas, Nevada - near Area 51.

It was the E.T. Full Moon Midnight Marathon and Half Marathon.

When I missed an opportunity on a certain reward travel combination, the travel connections just got more dicey. Therefore, I just decided to stay home.

This weekend was the first one in four years that I didn't run the News and Sentinel Half Marathon in Parkersburg, West Virginia. Actually, I was able to get a 25,000-mile reward flight into Columbus, Ohio, but frankly it was fun to do the event because Cassie and Manny were there.

It's a great, down-to-earth, all-American town and it's a great race; however, not this year. It would be fun to have a bunch of us go there and run that race as a group. :)

On Friday morning, I was at Conroe's Carl Barton Park to meet with Lauren Arnold from the City of Conroe's Parks and Recreation Department and Bill and Dana-Sue Crews (and their son, Dylan).

I was there for Bill and Dana-Sue to see the park as the site of the Bill Crews Remission Run 5K that will take place on Saturday, January 31, 2009. It will be a celebration of Bill's fifth year of remission of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. One of the things that will be very interesting is that it will be a trail run that in some parts will be a single track that may be a little bit more narrow than Huntsville State Park.

I'm very honored to be included on the Committee (which we will be meeting tomorrow afternoon) that will be putting together the race. Waverly will actually be trying to recruit, as Student Council President this year, her fellow student council members to volunteer for the race.

And finally, Footprints is pretty much put together for the September edition. Edwin wrote a really, really good story about Chevron Houston Marathon masters winner John Hill of Kingwood. We also have a first-hand account of Luis Armenteros' workout with Kara Goucher and Galen Rupp and hanging out with Alberto Salazar while they were all here in Houston. (If this is the second time that I mentioned this, I apologize.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home