Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Bad Blogger!

After going out last Sunday morning to the Ironbabe Sprint Triathlon that Jessica Alexander, Cassie Mondragon, Sarah Graybeal and Anna Sumrall Helm (that last one isn't a misprint) participated in, I added my fourth straight day's worth of an hour's worth of running on the treadmill. A separate spectator report is due to you worthy readers. :)

Jim Braden finished his eighth Pike's Peak Ascent - and first since 2002 - on Saturday in the midst of some gnarly conditions at over 14,000 feet above sea level. He had tuned up the previous month at the Vail Half Marathon. I didn't hear how our friends - and readers - Ron and Karen Berglund did at the Pikes Peak Marathon on Sunday.

Each day, I increased the pace on the treadmill 0.1 mph -- just keeping it nice and easy from 4.3 to 4.6 mph. (But it did feel at the end like a respectable 10K pace on the ground.)

Now what's going on?

Sunday night, we had a meeting for the first annual Bill Crews Remission Run 5K to be held at Carl Barton, Jr. Park in Conroe on Saturday, January 31, 2009. It will be run on a new set of trails that have been recently built and the folks with Conroe Parks and Recreation have told us that they have been underutilized. Here we come!

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to do Run The Woodlands 5K then go to Clear Lake for the Bay Area Running Club annual Pub Crawl. Always a good time with good friends!

And early Sunday morning, I'm going to drive to Dallas' White Rock Lake to do the Hottest Half Marathon that is put on by Lewis George with Mellew Productions.

Somewhere in between there I plan to watch an underdog (my prediction) win the Men's Olympic Marathon in Beijing. Hopefully, they'll stick with it more than they did the Women's Marathon.

Now, I hope that you all are still with me.

Of course you are. You're loyal readers. Right?

Well, after driving home last night from Jackson, Mississippi (a 7-hour drive basically), I went to the pool this afternoon at Bally's in Humble and swam 500 meters. The first 300 meters were fairly consistent, up and back. Well, up and back. Stop for 30 seconds or less and repeat.

I plan to be there more often. It isn't that hard. It is just going to take a lot more practice. If my math is right, 1.2 miles is 2,000 meters. That's 80 trips up and down the pool, right? There's no reason at some point fairly soon why I can't do that.

Time will tell, I suppose. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Depends on whether your pool is yards or meters, but 1.2 miles is in the 2000-2200 range. I know where this is headed... ;)

2:04 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh -- and if your pool is 25 yards/meters like most pools are, 1000 yards is 20 laps. One lap is going down and back and ending up where you started. So 2000 yards is 40 down-and-backs, or 80 lengths (a length is just down, or just back).

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home