Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, August 29, 2008

There's A Lot Going On!

Last Sunday, Waverly and I drove to Dallas for me to run the Hottest Half Marathon at White Rock Lake's Winfrey Point. We left at 2:45 a.m., got there by 6 a.m. and the race went off shortly after 7 a.m. I didn't run all that well at all and in the results I was listed as a 40-year-old Jen Walk!

Monday through Wednesday, I was in bed by 10 p.m. in Jackson, Mississippi without any workouts; however, I hit the stationary bike for an hour Thursday night at Bally's in The Woodlands and I swam 600 meters at the Bally's in Humble this afternoon.

I'm going to Milano to do the Nowhere 2 Run 10K, which starts at 8:30 a.m., instead of the Beneezy Purple Monkey 10K in Alvin. I hope Adrienne kicks butt and wins tomorrow morning. Me? There's an individual that I anticipate being there that I just don't feel like dealing with, plus I can run a race in another Texas town.

Today, I stopped at the Courier in Conroe to pick up a couple of newspaper columns of mine that I hadn't seen in print. While I was there, I talked with Montgomery's Ruth Fields. Her Raging Aging team competed in the Texas Independence Relay.

I left there and stopped at the Montgomery County Food Bank to give them my $150 H-E-B gift card that I received from HARRA as part of the VVIP volunteer program. I figured that there were some folks who needed the food more than I did, plus I don't see what I do for HARRA as being as important as what others do.

I drove all the way to Sugar Land then to pick up a pair of Asics Fortitudes from Finish Line Sports.

You ask: Why didn't I just buy them at Luke's Locker in The Woodlands like I always have?

Well, since Luke's Locker fired Andrew Perry, and Rick Cook and former Oak Ridge HS and HBU trackster Becky Isaac resigned as a result of that, I've decided to take my business elsewhere. I'll probably split the buys between Finish Line, On The Run (Jay Lee, Chris Bittinger and Vera Balic) and Fleet Feet (Luke's former shoe guy Stan Timmer) as I have good friends at each of those businesses. They all can order the same shoe if they don't carry it.

A 20-year-old young man with a young wife and child wouldn't jeopardize very good money for his age over a pair of shoes of a brand that I've never heard of. It's a matter of principle for me.

I met Lajuan Ellis-Thayer while I was at the Finish Line store early this afternoon. I think her son belongs to Seven Hills Running Club is what she told me. She was on the team with the winning name in the TIR, "Victorius Secret".

Finally this evening, I spent it at Bear Branch Sports Park to watch a number of cross country races at the Friday Night Lights Invitational.

More on that later. It's 11:45 p.m. Friday night and it is past my bed time. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Good race this morning! Sorry you missed it! I'll blog later about my two bags of stuff I carried home. Hope Milano went well!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Streaker said...

How much did you pay for the Asics Fortitudes at Finish Line Sports? Lukes had them on sale earlier and I bought 3 pair. I decided to buy 2 more pair and put them on the shelf in my closet (us 210 pound streakers go through a lot of shoes, you know). I called down to Lukes and said that the sale price was now $59. They did not have my size 13 in stock, but would try to get two pair from their other stores. A week or so later they called and said they had them in. I drove down there from Huntsville to find that they had gotten in two pair of the Asics Fortitude 3 (the newer model) and that the price was $90 or so. I declined to buy them and went home mad.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

What the heck? Why were they fired?

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home