Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Long Week; Kicked My Butt

It's late Thursday night here in Spring. Yes indeed, I'm home on a Thursday.

Since I'm now the new interim Director of Revenue Cycle Integrity (in charge of billing, cash and our coder in the business office), I'll be spending more Friday mornings in Jackson than I will Houston. Comes with the territory.

This week, I worked until at least 8 p.m. every night, including 9:45 p.m. last night. And all three days, I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to stop and eat lunch.

So it will come as a major surprise that I actually ran some this evening. (I saw that Bill had on his Facebook status that he was going to the Twin Creeks Middle School track. Got to keep up.)

I logged 40 minutes on the treadmill and another 20 on the stationary bike.

Our TIR teams are in good shape. We're back at 24 strong again. Had a little bit of a van scare when CAPPS called me and said that they're moving the reservation to the Shepherd/Little York site because they are closing The Woodlands/Spring location.

Unless Bill picks up a couple of aces in the hole - like we did with Adrienne last year, we should beat his team. Especially when he says that they're running for fun, but Bill tries to pull my leg too.

I'm looking forward to when all three of the teams make it to Gonzales.

Our motto, once again, will be: Run Hard. Have Fun.

We're not fast. We're projected for finishes of 31 hours, 30 minutes and 32 hours.

I'm hoping though that this will get us approximately 7:30 a.m. starts, which would mean that I would like to be in the parking lot from between 6 to 6:30 a.m.

Of the 24 runners that we have, 12 are new to the event and 14 are new to our team. We lost Karen Felicidario, Joe Carey and Keith Kelleher, but Manny Mondragon - one of our two drivers last year - will run this year.

Hope to see a few of you in Surfside on Saturday.

And if you're planning on running near the front of the Austin Marathon, I'll see you too. I'll be riding the press truck. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

I saw the note in the Austin paper to the effect that "for the first time in the race's 18-year history, the Austin Marathon lacks a field of elite runners gathered from Kenya, Ethiopia and other running hot spots around the world." They note that with the loss of their sponsor they used any available money for the runners rather than for prize money. This might be a topic worth discussing with your media colleagues when you are up there for the race.

Personally, I hope this becomes a growing trend - with or without sponsors. It might be nice for a Texan to win one of the major races in Texas, again.

We look forward to seeing you again at Surfside.

Ron

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home