Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Thursday Run at 5,320 Feet!

I basically took two days off from running before logging an hour's run on Thursday morning in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

One of the two days was by choice. The other wasn't. Wednesday I didn't run because of work responsibilities, but Tuesday I didn't because we arrived late into Albuquerque from Atlanta. I think we checked in at midnight or beyond!

We were scheduled to get in after 8 p.m. Mountain time; however, because of high winds in Albuquerque as well as a line of thunderstorms between Tulsa and Dallas, we were two hours late in departing from Hartsfield as well as tacking on an hour to the flight time because of re-routing.

My co-workers and I stayed at the Drury Inn & Suites in the north part of Albuquerque at the intersection of I-25 and Jefferson. It was cool out this morning. Cool enough that I should really have had something over my hands the entire time. I ran out Jefferson all the way to Paseo del Norte.

Based on my pace, I would estimate that I got in between 5.6 and 5.8 miles. Who knows? And lately, who cares? I'm working on trying to make running easier again, not harder.

I am and will continue to be curious of any effect of running at approximately 5,320 feet above sea level, especially after reading an article in the latest Runner's World about high altitude training. For someone like me, it may make zero difference. Basically, I didn't necessarily feel winded when I got started this morning. If anything, I felt the heaviness of my quads go away as I started the return back Jefferson from Paseo del Norte.

We'll be flying in on Monday mornings and back home on Thursday afternoons; therefore, for me to log four days of running at the higher altitude, I'll have to run after work on Mondays and Tuesdays and in the mornings on Wednesday and Thursday. We'll see how it works out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home