Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Wednesday Night Run in Albuquerque

Have you ever measured off a new course that you just ran while driving your car and because the run felt so good you actually slowed the car down hoping that it would record an extra tenth or two of a mile?

I admit it. I did it!

I didn't leave work until close to 8 p.m. (didn't have the motivation to go run up on the mountain again) and after talking with my daughter, Waverly, on the phone at home in Houston, I finally got out of the door of the hotel at about 8:40 p.m.

I had no planned route in mind, but I knew a direction or two that I didn't want to go. My thoughts were to just run out for about 30 minutes and head back. Maybe go 45. But most importantly, I wanted to keep moving -- run without stopping. I want to be able to run a marathon one day without stopping to walk. I'll get there!

I left the Marriott Courtyard on the north side of Albuquerque, headed right out of the parking lot to Jefferson and then headed south 0.8 miles to Ellison (which becomes San Antonio Drive once it crosses Interstate 25) as it goes east towards the foothills of the Sandia Mountains. I didn't record split times as I turned but a quick glance of my watch showed an approximate time of 10:50. (That sounds bad pace-wise, but I didn't over exert myself because of the altitude - 5,000 feet above sea level - plus once I got diverted because there was no sidewalk along Jefferson.)

I turned left and headed east on Ellison and it was completely uphill. Not a steep uphill, but if I had run all the way to Tramway Blvd., the elevation would increase 1,500 feet. As I ran, my focus was to keep moving through the uphill and I did with the exception of stopping at each intersection.

I measured off in the car afterwards 1.9 miles that I covered in approximately 24 minutes. As far as comparing distances and times, this is the one part of the run that I was really pleased about. I thought about going farther east (and more uphill) in preparation for Saturday's 7.2-mile Sandia Peak Challenge; however, I didn't want to overstress the achilles muscles in my lower calves before the weekend.

I turned left again heading north on Wyoming Drive. It was one (1) mile in the dark (there are only street lights at the intersections not anywhere in between) which can make running at night in Albuquerque fairly interesting and it is a requirement to pick you feet up to make sure that you don't trip. I covered the mile in approximately 12 minutes. In hindsight I was disappointed in this, but the fact that I just ran almost 2 miles of uphill was cause for the legs to be in a place where they make take a bit getting readjusted.

At Paseo Del Norte, I turned left again and headed west back towards Interstate 25 and the hotel. This part was sheer downhill, but I didn't try to all out sprint this part just to better my time. I tried to focus on lengthening my stride and running more relaxed. My thighs right now feel more heavy than they've ever been and I don't know if it is because I've added a pound or two there or it is because I sit for most of the day at work.

The distance to the other side of the Interstate 25 (ran over an overpass) was 1.4 miles and I covered this in roughly 14 minutes. (I try and beat myself up over some of these times; however I have to remind myself that they have high-altitude records here meaning that most runners can't run the same times at 5,000 feet that they can run at sea level. Do I qualify then as hard-headed to believe that I can?)

One more left and a right back onto Journal Center Boulevard and into the Courtyard parking lot covered approximately .35 miles which I covered in roughly five (5) and a half minutes.

So the damage (tongue in cheek, I really felt like I ran well and consistent) was 5.45 miles in 1:05:43. I came back to the hotel and used one of the new route measuring tools and it came up roughly to be 5.5 miles. Not bad!

I will probably not get in a run of any length this evening (Thursday) as I'll be driving with my daughter from Amarillo to Roswell, New Mexico. (Yes, they had the Alien 5K at the beginning of July to celebrate the UFO Festival. I kid you not!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Ah yes, I have done that, measured my distance in the car, but now, there is a better way! You're going to love this (I spent hours mapping out different routes): http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/

Genius I tell ya! Great run.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And a better way still:

www.harra.org.

9:27 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I actually used that tool to measure off the approximate 5.5 miles that I mentioned at the bottom of the post.

One of our club members, Vic Kaiser, actually offered this up as an alternative to the popular Goggle or Yahoo maps that is getting a lot of ink.

I was actually very comfortable using the tool that you referenced.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, I love that Google maps pedometer! Seems pretty accurate too, and the best part is you can measure routes that aren't entirely roads...

7:02 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Wow! Why have I never heard of these measuring tools on the net. I just drive mine myself generally, just to make sure I know them, but yes, I've done the slowing down thing. Especially if I can tell I'm getting to the end and I'm thinking "There's no way that's all that I ran!!" :)

Great, now yall have officially tossed my afternoon's productivity out the window, as I'll be playing with these route maps the rest of the day. :)

God Bless!
Sam

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home