Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Coming Later On Saturday Evening

I will provide a full Run The Woodlands #145 race report which was won by On The Run's Alan Hedengren in 16:16. Yours truly ran a lackluster 29:55!

I'll also provide an analysis of the HARRA Fall Team Series and tell you why it will be the closest finish in HARRA history (the Bayou City Road Runners hold a slight 3-point lead, but it may not be enough to hold off the Houston Striders) and how the Chronicle wouldn't know a good story in this if it jumped up and bit them in the ass.

Speaking of the Chronicle, I've been all for many of the special interest stories this week that Roberta and others have done. I think that they've been far better than the usual fare. Today's story by Dale Robertson, while insightful, continued to be void of discussing those of local interest in tomorrow's races as well any hard-hitting analysis of how the race would expect to unfold. Perhaps they'll have an 8-page spread tomorrow? I seriously doubt it.

A special section would be really nice, but the boys downtown don't have that kind of imagination. Then again, maybe they'll surprise me in the morning. But I won't hold my breath.

I respect Roberta MacInnis writing running stories. She's a runner. I just don't give the same respect to Neil Hohlfeld and Dale Robertson. Sorry, Dale Robertson is best known for getting his ass pushed through a trailer door by former Oilers quarterback Dan Pastorini in the late 1970s during an attempted interview. Dale, lace up the shoes and run a race with us once!

I'll try to post some of the responses that the four (4) American runners gave during the press conference to my question about their perception of the American media and their coverage of road racing. It probably hadn't changed after picking up this morning's Chronicle.

I'm off to take Waverly to get a chance to meet last year's women's winner, Kelly Keane, at the Expo in the New Balance booth from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. And, as I did from New York City, I'll try to provide a recap of the Expo, which was managed by the Marathon for the first time ever. I think they've done a better job with it then in the past couple of years that I've attended. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that as well.

For those who made it out to the first annual Houston Running Bloggers Pasta Party last night at the Spaghetti Warehouse downtown, thank you for spending your evening with all of us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home