Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Digging Into The Past: The Woodlands Marathon

I think one of the reasons that Bill Dwyer and I get along so well is that we're both information freaks regarding this sport of running (even though I'll claim a few more sports in my past though too).

I e-mailed Bill on Tuesday asking that when he saw Coach Danny Green of The Woodlands (the first winner of the Houston Marathon in 1972) next to find out if he still had all of the results from any of the 14 The Woodlands Marathons that took place between 1978 and 1992. (Coach Green was the co-race director of the event before it was cancelled.)

I get an e-mail back from Bill - other than saying that he'd check with Coach Green - that said, "I think my first marathon was on February 14 in 1980 - The Woodlands Marathon. I'm a pack rat and I still have the cancelled check for the entry fee - $7.00 - and my race number."

Bill later wrote back and said that The Woodlands Inn Marathon took place on Feburary 16, 1980 and that his finish time was 3:44:38. He also added that, "It was cold ... a few snow flurries at the start."

Can you imagine? $7 for a marathon entry fee!

The cheapest that I know of is Steve and Paula Boone's New Year's Day Texas Marathon in Kingwood - at $35! In our immediate area, we now have four (4) marathons including Kingwood, Houston, Surfside Beach and Seabrook Lucky Trails. And they are part of twelve (12) in Texas and there may be a 13th one coming soon.

But The Woodlands Marathon and the Galveston Marathon, which was reported to be the first marathon in Texas and held from the 1960s up until about the same time, are two obviously that have long gone by the wayside; however, one of my many projects is to eventually build an all-time list of winners from those events.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Ok you got my curiosity peaked. What might be the 13th?

9:32 AM  
Blogger Hey Zeus said...

check your email, maybe I should po the woodlands and rd an underground 26.2.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

wow, very cool. The historian still hiding out in me somewhere loves this kind of stuff.

10:55 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Steve, it is where an existing half in the state that may decide to bite off a full!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Hey Zeus said...

maybe just north of conroe?

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home