Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Kim Hager's Ironman France Race Report

(I have to say that I've been very privileged to meet some of the people that I have over the last three and a half years in this sport. To get a race report as such from The Woodlands' Kim Hager - via Bill Dwyer, of course - is truly an honor.)

The Ironman France-Nice Triathlon was held on June 25th, 2006. Kim was 167th of 874 finishers and 10th of 11 professional women competing in the event.

3.8-kilometer swim -- 56:29
Transition 1 -- 4:39
180-kilometer bike -- 6:05:40
Transition 2 -- 4:18
42.2-kilometer run -- 3:44:24
Overall time -- 10:55:30.25

In this event, 33 runners qualified for Boston after swimming more than 2 miles and riding a bike for 112 miles. Incredible!

Fellow Lone Star Multisport Club member Emily Deppe - also of The Woodlands - was 120th overall and won her age group which earned her a slot in the Ford Ironman World Championships on October 21, 2006 in Kona, Hawaii. Deppe, in the 25-29 age group, finished just under 15 minutes ahead of Hager in 10:40:54.05.

This is Kim's report ...

“Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something to do with struggling and enduring and accomplishing.” -George Sheehan

Ironman France was my first Ironman post-knee surgery. My training leading up to this event was checkered with post-surgery rehab, illness and family emergencies but I was determined to make it to the start (and finish) line. My emotions have run the full gamut in preparation for this event. Following knee surgery I was wondering if I would even be able to withstand the necessary training for an Ironman, and would just be grateful to be able to run ‘normally’ again. Much of my time was consumed with training and rehabbing my knee. I have been running since I was 12 years old and it is, without a doubt, my favorite discipline in triathlon. I knew I would never again take the ability to run for granted.

However, when my daughter was hit by a car while biking to school and we spent almost a week in the hospital, I was harshly reminded about what is truly important in life. At that point I only wished that I could somehow take upon her physical suffering and injuries, and Ironman took a backseat. I would have given anything for her not to have to go through such an ordeal.

Fortunately my daughter’s recovery progressed well, and putting things in perspective and adjusting my goals for Ironman France, I continued with my Ironman training for the remaining 6 weeks leading up to Ironman France. With the support of my family, friends, and coaches, I was off to Europe.

My travels to Europe did not get off to a good start and included flight delays, missed connections, lost luggage (bike, of course), airport evacuations (London Gatwick), and upon finally arriving to Nice, exhausted, only to be ‘entertained’ by loud techno music vibrating my hotel room until 3 am. I learned that laughter is good medicine and peanut butter sandwiches make good comfort food.

Race day arrived soon enough (thankfully my bike was eventually found in “lost luggage land” and returned to me) and I exited the hotel to slightly dark, ominous skies off in the distant. I was just grateful to see that the Mediterranean was calm, and was hoping rain would hold off. My biggest anxiety with this race was not so much the climbing I would have to do on the bike, but the swim start. I did not realize that the beaches in Nice are not of the sandy-like beaches I am accustomed to, but, rather, are rocky. I spent a lot of time worrying about falling at the race start. However, thankfully, it was not an issue race day.

The gun sounded and I began my first of two swim laps. I had a good start position, as I did not get hit too much at the beginning. However, at the first turn buoy I was to the far inside and was crammed, pushed, and shoved around. I even had my goggles ‘knocked’ off. WHAT? This is something I had always feared in an ocean swim. I truly thought I would panic if this ever happened to me. Even though I was mad that it happened and I could not see much, I continued to swim until I was able to get to an area where I was able to tread water and readjust my goggles. I lost some time, but remained calm and continued on with my swim. I exited the water from my first lap and quickly glanced at my split…27 minutes…I spent the next lap of the swim thinking my watch had said 37 minutes because I figured there was no way it could have said 27 minutes! The second lap went better as groups broke up, but once again my goggles were knocked off with about 300 meters to go and I had to deal with salt water in the eyes and blurred vision.

Finally, the swim exit…I check my watch…what…I went under 57 minutes?! That is a 10 minute PR for me. Was it a short swim? Who cares…I will take the PR. Now, off to the 180 km bike.

I really did not know what to expect on the bike. All I knew was that I had about 6000+ feet of climbing to do, that there was one long 25km uphill portion, and that the downhill portions can be technical…very technical. Unfortunately this type of terrain is hard to replicate in the Houston area. However, I like a challenge. I figure racing a difficult course only makes me stronger…maybe not on race day, but on future races.

The scenery was absolutely beautiful. It was a surreal feeling to be climbing and look down upon the villages below, knowing that it was by my own power that I made it up to where I was cycling. The people from the villages along the bike course came out and cheered. It reminded me of the scenes I see during the Tour. I am fortunate to be able to see the world the way that I do.

Unfortunately during the latter portion of the bike my lungs began to tighten up and I could feel things slow down. At the 110km point I was 18 minutes behind the 2nd female, but was unable to hold that distance and I lost a lot of time over the final 70 km on the bike. In addition, during my final descent portion, the rains came. This made things quite slick on the road and every turn my rear wheel would fish-tail. I do not know which was more stressful…the climb or the descent in the rain.

Regardless, I finally made it to the run. By this time my stomach had shut down and it felt like my throat and stomach had a belt around them that kept tightening. My thought was just to run as fast as I could for as long as I could before “the bonk” would set in. Not necessarily sure if that is the smartest philosophy but every Ironman is a learning experience for me. I made it through the first 20k real well, but by 25k I was feeling the lack of nutrition. I finished the remainder of the run and crossed the finish line! This is not something I take for granted and I know I am truly blessed to be able to do what I do. Furthermore, I accomplished what I came to Ironman France to do…finish the race, work on my Ironman nutrition, and gain some confidence for my next Ironman.

I can say that this was the first Ironman I have done that I did not think, “Why am I doing this?” I knew I would finish, and when my nutrition started falling apart, I did not let it derail me, but rather remained calm and focused on what I was capable of doing at the given moment. Thoughts of my daughter, and everything that I had been through recently motivated me to push on. I did not have my fastest Ironman race, but it was the first one where I did not get discouraged when things started going downhill. I truly felt ‘in-control’ during this race, and an overwhelming sense of happiness enveloped me as I crossed the finish line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home