Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Surfside Beach Marathon and Half Registration Open!

Date: Saturday, February 10, 2007 8 AM
Surfside Beach is calling you back!

Now that we have safely made it through hurricane season, we are opening our registration for 2007!

Thank you for making last years Surfside Beach Marathon and Half Marathon a success! As a participant in last year's race, we are giving you the first opportunity to sign up early and receive an early bird discounted price of only $40 (to the first 100 registrants!). (When it asks about how you heard of this, select "Other" and put in "Houston Running Blog"!)

This year's race will again feature -
- A Unique shirt to commemorate the event
- Surfside Marathon and Half Marathon stone drink coasters
- Custom designed finisher medals
- Our imaginative Age group awards (this year with a Texas beach theme)
- Texas BBQ after the event
- Our 26.2 miles of uninterupted beach -
- Friendly helpful volunteers
- All the sand you can carry home (kidding)

We especially thank our sponsors again this year, OverNite Software, and ConocoPhillips, and the Village of Surfside Beach for making this event possible!

We invite you to sign up for our third annual event, and hope to see you again in Surfside Beach, Saturday, February 10th. Click on the link to register now!

Daryl Beatty
Race Director, Brazosport Area Road Runners Association

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

If there's an HRB group planning to do it again, I'm in for the Half...

8:07 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

We had a lot of fun this past year, of course, and it was where we started to build some of the espirit de corps (or however the French said it).

Unfortunately, I can't make any plans at all for the future because of my job. :(

9:10 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

I think I am in for this one!!!

the 1/2 that is....

10:34 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

The one thing that I experienced and that Holden also pointed out is that we had no thigh pain at all after doing this - and I did the full marathon.

8 days later, I ran a PR at Austin's marathon. :)

We had Holden, Barbara, Edwin, and James and Jaclyn there, I believe. I hope I didn't miss anybody.

Jon

10:41 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

I'm pretty sure I'll be there. Don't know what role I'll have that day.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there, not sure what the plan is post Houston. Probably Austin. It's not possible to have nasty weather 2 years in a row! Is it?

Hmm..maybe so the word verification is "suckzm"

6:11 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Yes, Steve, I remember. Please forgive me. How could I forget?

You were happy about placing in your age group, but a little disappointed about not being able to crack 4 hours again.

The weather slowed everybody down that day, plus I ended up with a bad case of wind burn (but I was out there an hour and 40 minutes longer than you too.)

Jon

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home