Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, September 24, 2007

A Bit Here and There

I'm running again here and there.

Last Thursday, I got in an hour on the treadmill here in Pasadena.

After getting back in to town on Friday (on a red-eye) and after a little sleep, I went to Bally's in The Woodlands and got in 27 minutes. Yes, I know. It is an odd number. The first 20 minutes was on one machine where I started at 3.9 mph and upped it .1 mph every minute. When I got to 5.9 mph, the unit shifted to different speeds without warning. I almost fell!

I moved to another unit and only lasted seven (7) minutes as the same settings were a bit more difficult, but I needed to get back to the house to meet my father so we could go watch Waverly in Magnolia. I probably added another mile chasing her around the second lap of the course - and a lot of this was sprinting as I moved from place to place. :)

Saturday, at Bailey Middle School, after the first of her four (4) matches that day, I went out on the track and got in 2.75 miles (28:05.51). I was going for consistency and I would have made the last quarter mile, but I started to taste the chocolate milk I had earlier in the morning. Here were the lap splits:

2:30.27, 2:33.62, 2:32.10, 2:32.33
2:34.97, 2:33.81, 2:34.06, 2:33.32
2:35.72, 2:34.20, 2:31.11

So this would have been about a 10:10 per mile pace, but I wasn't racing. I was just trying to maintain a steady consistent pace. (I didn't make it back out there later or on Sunday. The blahs won out.)

However, once I got to Pasadena this morning, I ran another 40 minutes on the treadmill while listening to the speech from Columbia University by Iran's leader, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I may do a bit more this evening and call it a "double". We'll see.

Speaking of doubles, I had to scratch this past weekend's planned half marathon double in Virginia and Maryland; however, I am considering doing Connecticut and New York next weekend. (Trying to keep the pressure on The Woodlands' Patrick Morein ... but he has two more to add to his state total the week after that.)

I also have an invite to run the Texas Independence Relay course on October 28-29 with Jay and Joy Hilscher and crew.

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

so are you going to run the TIR route?

9:00 PM  
Blogger doug spence said...

I just wanted to let you know that I voted for you to be the Male Runner of the Year in that Clif Bar poll.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home