Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Couldn't Sleep On Friday Night

I have a lot on my mind, and couldn't sleep.

I have some columns to write - one for the Conroe Courier, which I have to get in before tomorrow for either Sunday or Tuesday's paper, and the next one for Runner Triathlete News, which will appear in the November edition of the magazine.

First things first, I'm getting some of my spirit back, but this blog will never open back up to what it used to be. I'm much more guarded now. And who loses? The runners and triathletes who deserve the recognition that I have the ability to give - and that others in official capacities aren't giving.

Some of you who have access here may have received the e-mail, but one positive thing is that Waverly participated in her first junior high cross country meet.

Here's what I wrote to a handful of people - on and off this blog:

On Wednesday, September 5th, Waverly tried out for - well, she showed up (and) was the only one - and made the 7th grade cross country team at Twin Creeks Middle School. That day or the following day, they had their first work out and she ran two miles on the track in more than 26 minutes.

Early the month before, she did a 5K out in Fort Davis in the 37-and-change, but hadn't done much before that other than also try out for the volleyball team.

Today, she put on her school colors for the first time (well, second time since she had a volleyball match Thursday night) and competed in the Bear Branch Junior High Cross Country meet today in Magnolia.

Even though she started out last, because the bus pulled into the parking lot 90 seconds from the starting gun and she had to run about 400 meters to the starting line, she didn't finish last. (Dad ran to the bus, got her school stuff and ran with them and her towards the start line. They actually had started before Waverly had to go another 20 yards, go around a cone and start.)

She covered a two-mile loop - primarily flat with one slight incline - in 23:53.42 (under 12 minutes a mile) and in 91 degrees heat. She got outkicked on the track by a girl from Willow Wood MS who Waverly had passed a bit earlier. I was (and am) very, very proud of her. The heat and humidity today was tough, but she was out there competing when she could just as easily be at home watching TV.

Next Saturday they go to Brenham and run on the hilly course at the Brenham State School. I saw Coach Dan Green of The Woodlands High School at the meet and he said they quit going to that meet, but knew that course very well. (Why is TWHS as dominant as they are in the sport? Because they have a great program and the fact that Dan is at a middle school meet watching kids ... is a large part of it.)

Dad ran around the course -- not as fast as Sean Wade and Jeff Wells did the Saturday before at Rice's meet mind you -- cheering her (and everyone else on) and probably got in another mile on top of the 30 minutes I did on the treadmill in a little bit of a speedwork I did in the late afternoon. (Thursday morning I got an hour in on the treadmill in Pasadena.)


Recently, I was taken to task by a runner, who has worked hard and done well but who also reguarly posted here anonymously and criticized me because I didn't take the sport as serious as they did. They said, "Running is serious."

My response should have been, "Yes, it is. Only if you're trying to make the Olympic team or are trying to make a living at it." Which few are and they're not.

While trying to fall asleep this evening, I realized that while the individual was running a local 5K last Saturday morning - and winning their age group - I took Waverly out to the Rice Invitational cross country meet so that she could experience first-hand what she was about ready to do the following Friday.

When that individual was out on a Sunday morning long run, trashing me I'm sure as they did to a local runner this week, I was out on a 2-mile run with Waverly at Bear Branch Sportsfields in The Woodlands to get her in a cross country run because her coach hadn't had them to a run on grass yet even. I also pulled in an individual to join us who was responsible for pushing the school district that she is in many years ago to do cross country in the middle schools.

The individual in question is blessed with three children to share their love with while I have one. I wish I had more to share my love with, but I'll do the best with what God has given me to be responsible for. And I think the way that Waverly has turned out so far that it is evidence that I - and her mother - have done well. I'm thankful for that.

The individual is blessed to have a wife at home - by his own admission - that doesn't work and can care for their three children. That's wonderful. I've experienced some situations in my life where those luxuries haven't been able to be enjoyed as much - and it has nothing to do with how hard I worked in life.

To do what I do for a living, I spend 12 hours at a minimum each week travelling to and from my assignment. That's just door to door. That doesn't count the time doing my own laundry, packing and so on. It takes a little extra out of me. Not the laundry part, mind you, but the travelling does.

I'm not complaining one bit, but I find it incredulous how people can be so mean-spirited because I choose to comment on some things in the running community that are painfully obvious; however, to do so is "bashing".

No, it is simply questioning the status quo and wondering why can't it be better.

And not accepting the fact that somebody sticks their name and title to a statement and expects you to respect it for that reason alone. I think you're able to respect it when there is an effort made to prove that you're worthy of the respect.

They say that you really haven't made it in the media business until you piss somebody off. I guess I've really made the big time then! But, believe me, it is never a goal of mine ... yet, I'm the only one that has been willing to put a view out there and sign my name to it.

I guess that makes me controversial.

I've been fortunate. Very fortunate. When I tried to get coverage for others, I ended up getting coverage. And if I want to know something, I have access to all of the best in the sport - of whom I've earned their respect not with my feet but with my words and actions.

But, in the end, I'll never stop being me.

And if you really know me and know what I'm all about, you'll understand that I never ever really have the desire to see myself get credit for anything.

Again, I want to see others be recognized for the things that they've done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Way to go Waverly. Kick butt, girl!

As for the other stuff, well, the way I figure it, running is supposed to be fun. If I'm not having fun, I'm doing something wrong.

8:21 AM  
Blogger doug spence said...

The individual succeeded at getting you to go private. The others not having access to your blog have lost a voice not accepting the usual party-line.

Serious runners have their place in the running community. The ones that win and we perceive them to be nice (for lack of a better word), we look up to them in admiration for their God-given talent.

2nd tier blow hard serious runners are an arrogant bunch because they've gotten as high as they can, but they can't crack into the top tier because they're a smidge too slow. And they're pissed about it. Willing to take to task any person more mortal than them for soiling about the sport they can't succeed at.

I long for the day when you go public again, if nothing else but to stir up the status quo 2nd tier bunch.

And Waverly has a lot of poise, which will take her quite a ways in her life. Especially in this day and age.

I forgot. Who has the soap box next?

7:14 PM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Your running is an inspiration to many runners. I still cannot fathom how you can run so much of often. I believe I'd be in crutches if I was running as much as you. In the end, as an amateur, and as a hobby, it is how much enjoyment you get out of it more so than reaching your fastest potential. Needing to be as close to perfection is a recipe for eternal depresion.

Being as fast as possible is a nice goal to have but not a necessity for every runner. I just got a perfect score on my latest physical. My doctor was amazed at my "perfect" health. This is all due to my running and my runner's diet. It had nothing to do with reaching my fastest speed potential.

Let us remember. Less than half million Americans per year can boast completing a marathon. If that doesn;t put you in a class by itself, I don't know what does.

I'm coming down from my soap box now.

ps. making us do word verification on a invite only blog is cruel.....

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home