Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Batting 1.000 on Tough Days This Weekend

The only thing consistent between yesterday and today was, unfortunately, my time.

There was no chip timing at the 31st annual Ridgefield Pamby Motors Half Marathon in Ridgefield, Connecticut; however, it really wasn't needed. My gun time was 2:38:59 and it was 22 seconds until I crossed the start line for a net time of 2:38:37.

To be frank, I was gassed the entire way. Unlike other efforts like these, I had nothing in the tank at all - and the time reflects that.

If I let the so-called "serious runner(s)" - actually those with a critical attitude - get to me, I'd quit after today; however, I just need to figure out what is going on. In this case, it was probably too much after not enough. But I believe that the crosstraining had helped me too -- stationery bike and the elliptical machine. And I haven't been diligent with that lately. And that is kind of why I ran these so I could find out where I was fitness-wise - while getting in two (2) more states.

The people of Ridgefield, Connecticut are great! Not just the race volunteers, but the townsfolk too. Everyone cheered you on. That was really nice, especially when you're having a rough day. The fall foilage is in full bloom and if you've never been in the Northeast during this time of year, you're missing some wonderful sights.

At times today, it was just as hot as yesterday, but there was some breeze from time to time.

The course was moderately hilly. Enough to let you know they were there at all times - in case you were tempted to forget. It was once again humid, and the only bad thing that you could attribute to the organizers of the event, the Wolfpit Running Club, is that while there was plenty of water on the course -- there was no electrolyte replacement at all.

Well, not until the very end of the race.

There was one gentleman before mile 4 who had suffered a heart attack. I heard one runner who had stopped tell another runner in front of me that he had started to turn purple and had stopped breathing when somebody got to him. I had not heard what had happened to the gentleman. Please keep him in your prayers. (If I hear of an update, I'll post it here.)

Mile 1 -- 10:39.54
Mile 2 -- 11:28.44
Mile 3 -- 11:18.36
Mile 4 -- 11:24.39 (1:07.69 + 10:16.69)
Mile 5 -- 11:45.50
Mile 6 -- 11:56.48
Mile 7 -- 12:19.59 (2:47.47 + 9:32.12)
Mile 8 -- 11:44.50
Mile 9 -- 11:50.22
Mile 10 -- 13:57.63 (4:41.66 + 9:15.97)
Mile 11 -- 12:47.33
Mile 12 -- 14:14.88
Mile 13 -- 12:14.87 (5:44.62 + 54.44 + 5:35.81)
Last .1 -- 55.64

The one thing that I thought about when running the course - as it relates to chasing states - is that I don't decide where to go based on whether or not the course is too tough or not.

I've done four courses this year that were challenging to extreme -- NY and CT (challenging) as well as WY and Colorado was just ridiculous. ND and PA were primarily flat, but I didn't go there because of that. They worked into the schedule. MN went with ND and was a fairly challenging course. West Virginia I knew about and I improved on it from the last two years -- on no sleep.

If I wanted to see where I was really at, I would have chosen a flat course and saw how far I was off from 2:19 (which is where I would want to be to compare again.)

Time to get a shower. 40 minutes until late checkout is up. Grab a bite to eat and then Waverly and I head to Newark's Liberty International Airport for a 7 p.m. Eastern flight home this evening.

So ... I get to 20 states (21 in the half2run.com standings because they count BC - a province - as a state), but Patrick Morein from The Woodlands will add two more next weekend.

I'm undetermined if I'm going to run Huntsville on Saturday. I'll definitely be there to help Ken Johnson put on the race regardless.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

Nearly identical times back to back. I would say that is a good guage of "where you are at." I am foregoing the 20 mile run this weekend in hopes of staving off ITBS pain.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Vince A. said...

Get some rest and keep slugging. And be glad you didn't race in Chicago today. ...ummm, we should put on an indoor marathon!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Crosstrain said...

Coast to coast for a back to back half marathon, with one in Central Park to boot. Sounds like a successful weekend to me. As Vince said you could have been in Chicago or even worse, on the injured reserve stuck riding a bike! On to your next state!

3:57 PM  
Blogger doug spence said...

Good Lord, Jon, get those negative people in the trash can and do what YOU want to do.

If I listened to people telling me I shouldn't run a marathon, I wouldn't have. Those that knew I did the TMC last year were resigned that I was going to do it, with or without their blessing. So they got on board.

Gratz on your races. GRATZ, dammit!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home