Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Tuesday Night Two-Hour Treadmill

A nice comeback, eh? I meant to last night, but went to get a bite to eat late and when I got back here to the hotel ... I didn't make it downstairs.

I feel pretty good. I'll pound the pavement this weekend out-of-state (after getting the trails Friday night as long as things stay on schedule.) I hear that "Coach Bill" is doing "double secret blind" workouts and that he'll be ready for the Brumble at Bear Branch (i.e. Nike South)!

Kept it simple and steady. The 4.0 mph setting on this brand - and it is one that has the TV monitors mounted in front of you (yes, it is Pasadena ... although not quite Hollywood) - doesn't feel like you're tip-toeing on it like the one at Bally's in The Woodlands.

So ... it was 4.0 mph to start and every 10 minutes bump it up .1 mph to 4.5 mph to get through hour #1 -- and then repeat!

Rick Cook would tell you that there wouldn't be enough money to keep him on a machine that long, but I'm not sure that I'd go traipsing up and down Arkansas hills for 20 hours this weekend like he will in the Arkansas Traveller 100. (I'll do battle with Central Park's rolling hills for something over 2 hours in the Grete's Great Gallop half marathon on Saturday.)

My speed is a function of my weight, my diet and the number of miles I put in (or how much I work out, including crosstraining activities.) I understand that.

And, to some former readers of this blog's surprise, I also don't care either.

When I feel like doing what I want to do to enjoy what it is that I'm doing, I'll do it. On my timetable and not anybody else's. :) We all have different goals. You want a sub 3-hour marathon and you're willing to put all of your marbles in that basket to get there and I want to run a marathon and a half marathon in every state -- and experience all life has to offer!

I've got a great column coming up in Runner Triathlete News in November, I hope, that I wouldn't have if I hadn't gone out to one of the Rice University Friday night All-Comers track meets. That same night, I got to talk about the sport with Jon Warren, meet a good guy in Glen McMicken - a publicist with the USATF, sports information guy at Rice and now assistant track coach at HBU, and watch Brett Riley try his hand at seven or eight different events - including the hurdles!

Here's the way I look at it: If I spent all of the hours running or working out that I did writing, compiling statistics and delivering a level of information on the sport that it is pretty darned good - and respected by many, I'd probably be doing all of the things other people want me to do.

But I like me ... just the way I am. All of the good things, and even some of the bad things.

How's that for a positive rant? And, oh yeah, in case I forget, I have a great daughter! :)

It looks like my Conroe Courier columns are starting to go online now. Here are the last two: September 25 and October 2. (And, ouch, they messed up the first sentence on the second one!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home