Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Almost 5.5 Miles to the Foothills ... Almost

I wanted to put another hour on the treadmill Wednesday night, but my body was a little banged up from doing two hours the night before. (Yes, if it sounds like the tough guy routine; perhaps it is.)

Nonetheless, that didn't happen. I was up at around 5-something, checked e-mail and went back to bed. Regardless of how many races I've ever done, I'm not a morning person.

When my watch showed 6 a.m., I thought to myself that I wasn't going to feel good about heading into Saturday's half marathon in Central Park in New York City unless I got in another run this morning.

By 6:20 a.m., I was out in front of the Marriott Courtyard here in Pasadena, California on N. Fair Oaks Avenue heading north towards the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains.

I hadn't tried going north for a couple of reasons. One, I was told that some of the neighborhoods weren't exactly River Oaks or even suburban America and the other was -- it was uphill! Imagine half of the incline of the Elysian Street bridge going on for 2.25 miles and all of it beyond that. Therefore, I figured it was better to apply the old adage, "What goes up must come back down."

Granted, the neighborhood wasn't one that I would be walking in a suit flashing O.J.'s Rolex watch (I guess it is Ron Goldman's father's now), but it wasn't the worst barrio in the greater Los Angeles area either.

The temperatures were cool! :) Gotta love that. And it was something that I hadn't run in for awhile so the combination of that and going uphill got me about 6 minutes into the run.

I ran 2.74 miles north on N. Fair Oaks Ave. into Altadena, going all the way to Ventura Ave. just past the Mountain View Cemetary and its fresh cut grass. When I got to that intersection and saw what it would take to make it all the way to the foothills, I decided that it would have to wait for another morning. But I will be back.

The 2.74 miles up N. Fair Oaks Ave. took me 28:36.22 - a 10:26 pace. I tried to let it out - as much as my body will allow it - coming down. That is, until traffic slowed me down a little bit.

On the way back down to Walnut Ave., just south of Interstate 210, the 2.73 miles was done in 25:29.85 - for a pace of 9:20 per. I'd guess that the first two miles were probably closer to 9 minutes per, as I slowed down some towards the end. It is probably the first that I've gone that fast for that long in a little while; however, it felt good.

As I said, I'll be back for another challenge another day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I remember that night. I think that was my first ever (and hopefully last) attempt at running hurdles. I'm sure everyone who watched was impressed with how I jumped those hurdes - and landed, too.

I'm looking forward to the article.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home