Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Post-Chicago Marathon Thoughts

I think everybody has read many of the accounts, including Holden's, of this year's Chicago Marathon. And what the organizers can't deny are some of the video accounts that can be seen on YouTube.com.

I remember the 2004 Mini Marathon in Indianapolis - a 30,000-runner affair which includes a 2.5-mile lap around the hot Indianapolis Speedway - and the race officials announcing before the event started that they would "black flag" the race and turn the timing devices off if the situations got bad.

That day, they did. Like in Chicago, a runner died on the course and they turned them off.

I finished that day with a chip time of 2:32 and a gun time of 2:48 (yes, it took 16 minutes to cross the start line), but I never remember water being an issue on the course - even within two miles from the finish line.

Granted, it was only a half marathon, but 30,000 runners were covering the same distance where reportedly much of the problems took place in Chicago.

Even if I know it is going to be a hot day, often I have to blow past the first water stop because it can't handle the crush of people.

On Saturday in Central Park, there was plenty of water and Gatorade for almost 6,000 participants in a lot of heat. The following day in Connecticut, as I mentioned, there was water, but no Gatorade. And the way that I was moving, the last cup of water was getting a little warm.

Running out of water is no fun for anybody - including the volunteers. I remember this happening at the mile 4 water stop last year at the United Space Alliance 10-Miler. Waverly - and I believe Joe Carey - both worked this stop a year ago.

4 Comments:

Blogger Crosstrain said...

I ran the 10 miler last year, my wife worked the stop with Waverly and Vera Balic's husband. We remember the period without water last year and have discussed how to avoid reoccurance on Sunday.

6:49 PM  
Blogger David said...

Fortunately I've not run into an empty water stop (not racing that frequently) and can't imagine the frustration. I got irritated at Houston 2 years ago having to wait 2-3 miles for a water because I skipped one by choice- I think I'll remember to take some at each stop in January.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember having no water at the Turkey Trot last year. I did the 10K, but skipped the 1st water stop. When we came back around to the stop again, there was no water to be found!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

not to make light of the situation, but i can see the sale of Fuel Belts going up in the next few months...i actually carried my own gatorade on the 10 miler this past Sunday. I also plan to take the advice heeded up Holden and carry a $10 bill with me 'just in case.'

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home