Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Texas Independence Relay Roster Breakdown

The Battling Bloggers of the Texas Republic

Barbara Boone - Steadily working out and running
Karen Felicidario - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday
Keith Kelleher - Following Hansons' Marathon Training Program
Jessica Alexander - Ran United Space Alliance 10-Miler on Sunday
Sarah Graybeal - Ran United Space Alliance 10-Miler on Sunday
Jon Walk - Ran (or something like that) Huntsville Half Marathon on Saturday
Joe Carey - Mr. Volunteer at United Space Alliance 10-Miler
James David Dykas - Ran United Space Alliance 10-Miler on Sunday
Holden Choi - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday
Cassie Mondragon - Getting ready for New York City Marathon
Edwin Quarles - Getting ready for Sunmart 50K
David Smart - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday

Texian Road Warriors

Kelley Swank - Just got an OK to start working out again after pregnancy
Juliee Sparks - Dealing with an injury
Andrew Perry - "Really" lost after getting married
Bill Dwyer - Just got a Garmin; should help his running
Gena Alvarez - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday
Delia Akers - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday
Greg Alvarez - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday
Michelle Comrie - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday
Stewart Comrie - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday
Doug Spence - Ran Huntsville Half Marathon on Saturday
Kim Hager - Kicked ass at the United Space Alliance 10-Miler on Sunday, finishing 3rd overall!
Paula Stiles - Ran Ten For Texas on Saturday

Alright, alright ... Spence made me do it with his comment below!

While our closest answer to Hager and Perry is Quarles and Carey (which scares me ... no offense, guys), I hope that Sarah and I can offset that difference versus Dwyer and Spence. The rest will be settled in between!

Here's how last weekend's runners ranked in order of mile per minute:

Kim Hager (TRW) - 1:01:52
Dave Smart (BBTR) - 1:26:48
Greg Alvarez (TRW) - 1:28:22
Paula Stiles (TRW) - 1:28:53
Jessica Alexander (BBTR) - 1:30:37
Holden Choi (BBTR) - 1:31:52
James Dykas (BBTR) - 1:32:10
Stewart Comrie (TRW) - 1:32:23
Michelle Comrie (TRW) - 1:34:04
Delia Akers (TRW) - 1:42:14
Karen Felicidario (BBTR) - 1:47:42
Gena Alvarez (TRW) - 1:53:04
Jon Walk (BBTR) - 2:29:17 (half, hills)
Sarah Graybeal (BBTR) - 2:02:35
Doug Spence (TRW) - 2:48:40 (half, hills)

Have fun with that! :)

5 Comments:

Blogger doug spence said...

I challenge anyone on either team to have run a slower time than I.

5:44 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

This past weekend or at TIR in March?

5:53 PM  
Blogger Bill D said...

Doug's Huntsville time is faster than my Austin time.

7:46 AM  
Blogger doug spence said...

Don't worry, Bill. There's still enough time left for me to slow down.

Kim and I are the bookends of this listing! I'm honored.

Jon, I meant this past weekend. But it could apply to anything.

5:04 PM  
Blogger K said...

Hey Jon,
I am hoping that my time gets better once I am over this stinking groin injury. My ten miler before this one was 1:37.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home