Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pressing Towards Rocky Raccoon 50-Miler

I'll have a Chevron Houston Marathon race report online sometime soon as my gun time was 5:21:07 and the chip time was 5:18:37.

If I spin this right, I could definitely frame finishing my 17th marathon in just over three years - not all quality - as a positive in this way:

December 2 -- Tucson Marathon -- 5:26:07 (without proper training)
January 1 -- Texas Marathon -- 5:22:19 (signed up the day before)
January 13 -- Chevron Houston Marathon -- 5:18:37

What does that mean? It means I have to run at least 30 more marathons dropping four minutes each to qualify for Boston (at 3:20!) I'm joking!

Honestly, I shot myself in "the feet" - as I did last year - by walking the Expo both days and networking, which is what I do best to earn the credibility from a media standpoint with runners all over the greater Houston area and beyond. Everyone may not like my opinions and I certainly got sabotaged late last year by a few of them (and who I no longer trust), but when

But more importantly, my weight is getting in the way.

My race was OK. You couldn't ask for better weather, and as much as I had been critical in the past of the Marathon (primarily based on price and the way it was being promoted), there isn't one thing that I could complain about even if I wanted to. [Somewhere after the Striders mile 21.5 water stop, and before you got to mile 22, I saw a policeman wave a car through in front of me. There went the closed course! But that isn't anything at all!]

I saw race director Brant Kotch after crossing the finish line and told him that I thought things went very well.

I was glad that my friends -- and especially my TIR teammates -- did well. (Not letting anyone out ... but Jessica Alexander, Dave Smart and Karen Felicidario all posted impressive marathon finishes.)

I took Monday off completely (a change of my evening plans); however, I did 50 situps this morning (as I have to start working on my core muscles), used the rubber tubing with handles to do 50 arm curls on each arm as well as doing four hamstring stretches on each leg with them - holding it for at least 30 seconds each time.

I'm a little concerned about Rocky Raccoon 50-Miler, but why not have a stretch goal - sort of like Sarah's half Ironman goal for last year - and never pursue it? (Honestly, there's a little bit of fright, but I'll work through it as I have the best support system in the world.)

Rick Cook has given me some pretty good advice regarding shoes, especially for the third 16 2/3-mile loop. Susan Rouse sent me a nice, encouraging note that said the following:

Well, you already know that the biggest thing is just desire. So you are good to go. Not having a time goal is good too.

A few other suggestions that you probably already know...

+ Start out really easy
+ Walk the hills
+ Use lots of Vaseline
+ Be careful what you eat. A lot of people have stomach troubles in ultras

I'm going to be out there cheering!

And I know that Bill - and Seven Hills Running Club - will be out there too!

More later!

1 Comments:

Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Good luck with the 50 Miler.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home