Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Weekend Update ... So Far

I swore to myself that this weekend was going to be a slow one, but that concept always seems to get away from me. The bottom life is that I'm living life and trying to enjoy it and be happy as much as I possibly can. :)

Before I go on much further, I'll take the Packers and the Patriots in today's NFC and AFC Championship games. (I'll be in the gym while the first one is going on.)

I got (home close to 11 p.m.) in late Friday night from Los Angeles. I thought (yes, thought) about going to New Braunfels to do this 12-mile River Road Run race that I did fairly well at last year. However, the cold weather in conjunction with the potential ice on the drive over there, as well as the two bridges that you cross each way, kept me in bed until about 8:30 a.m.

Waverly and I had a late breakfast/early lunch and then made our way down to the Carl Lewis High School Invitational track meet at the University of Houston. I went primarily to watch the mile run and the 3000 meters; however, the talent - and dedication - displayed by young men and women is absolutely incredible to watch. (Read more about it here please.)

We saw good friends, John Sullivan, who reports for dyestat.com, and Russell Henderson, who probably replaces J Fred Duckett as one of the most knowledgeable men about high school track and field in the area. (The two worked countless track and field meets together before J Fred passed away this summer.)

Waverly got to see (and stand no less than 10 feet away of) University of Houston head track and field coach Leroy Burrell, who at one time was the fastest man on earth (holding the world record in the 100-meter dash), as well as one of the greatest athletes of all time, Carl Lewis.

We were in church this morning to hear our former pastor, Bro. John Gross, at North Park Baptist Church. (Our regular pastor, Bro. Tim Thompson, and his wife, Debbie, were on a missions trip to the Phillipines this week.) I'm trying to make more of a commitment to be in church on a more regular basis than what I have in the past. (I'm at two out of three weeks.)

Waverly attended Sunday School in the same Junior High class that I was once in - with the same teacher. How's that for time passing by? But he's the person I know who could realistically bring the story of Moses to life. :)

We're heading over to my parents here in a little bit to have lasagna before I head to the gym to workout (I hope) for a couple of hours.

And then it is back on a plane in the morning to LAX for work.

I'm going to try and get my schedule setup right so I can go and see the "Spirit of the Marathon" movie Thursday night. I work in Pasadena and the closest theatre that is showing it is in Alhambra, which is about five miles away. I know what Rick would do. He'd run to it and back. But wouldn't that be funny if that is what everybody did? :)

Funny, but it'd be a sweaty theatre.

I'll probably go and run the 3M Half Marathon in Austin on Sunday. I think I'm going to go over the night before - for once (Cassie won't believe it) and use some of my Marriott points to stay at the Renaissance, which is in walking distance from the start (and where the bus brings you back after the point-to-point race is over).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home