Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Battling Bloggers of Texas Republic Team Update

I think all of our team members has access to the blog; however, we've started the e-mails going in earnest to get our plan down for the Texas Independence Relay.

We've lost two team members to injury -- Mr. Carey and Mr. Dykas. As I said in the e-mail, they're still a vital and inspirational part of the team. That puts us at 10 - for the moment.

Anticipating Mr. Carey's situation, I had been in touch with Dane Rauschenberg of Arlington, Virginia - a no-nonsense guy who regularly puts down sub-3:30 marathons (and is a Penn State grad). However, Dane will be going to work for Ragnar Relays and will be working a relay in Arizona that weekend.

Edwin and Cassie have an option in play (from our discussions this past weekend) and then I have another invitation that I extended before sending this morning's e-mail out to the team.

I told everyone that I'm going to be shooting for as early as starting time as possible. Those will be for a 10-minute per mile pace. I'd like to think that everybody is going to push a little (while having fun, of course), and if so, I think we equate to more of a 8:45-9 minute per pace. (Edwin, 7 min; Keith, David, Barbara, Jessica, Holden, in the 8 mins; Karen, in the upper 8 to low 9; Cassie, in the 9 min and Sarah and I in the upper 9-low 10 range.)

We have some that want to go over the night before and some that want to get there in the morning and run. (I'm of the latter group, of course.)

I have a van already rented with Hertz, and we'll, of course, have to get another one.

I have also reserved two rooms at the Springhill Suites near the Katy Mills Mall. (I'll probably be able to change this as we get closer and use my Marriott Rewards points so it will be free!)

Theoretically, Van 1 runs legs 1-6 (then drives on to where Highway 90 crosses under Interstate 10 east of Schulenburg and waits at the end of leg 12.) Van 2 runs legs 7-12.

After leg 12, Van 2 can drive from just east of Schulenburg 60 miles straight shot on the Interstate to the hotel -or- can go and eat in Columbus (as they'll be taking over after leg 18 in Altair.) At this time, Van 1 is running.

After leg 18, Van 1 drives on to the hotel (via this route), while Van 2 runs. Or they can go almost 30 miles east to Wallis and sleep at Brazos High School. (However, they can be between exchanges 18-22. I believe that this has to do with the night running and that a large number of teams should be in this area by then.)

Van 2 runs legs 18-24 and Van 1 drives from the hotel (or the high school) to Orchard (where leg 24 ends) to take over. That return trip is 22 miles - 30 minutes. Van 2 goes on to the hotel and then meets up to take over at the end of leg 30.

Couple of comments came up:

"I don't mind running extra legs if necessary." -- With a 12-member team, eight (8) runners have to run three (3) legs and four (4) have to run four (4) legs. [I haven't decided with a traditional, 6-leg by 6-leg rotation who will run the last four legs.]

"I vote that we do van switches so we can all get to know one another." -- Logistically, that could create some nightmares. But if somebody can kill the image of Freddy Krueger and show me how it would work, it is something to explore.

"Does anyone know if there is a showering facility somewhere in the middle or do we just wipe down with wet towels?" -- Towels for in the vans, and developing word awaits in regards to Brazos High School in Wallis.

The initial van assignments were these:

Van 1 - Quarles, Boone, Felicidario, Kelleher, Graybeal, (Carey)
Van 2 - Walk, Mondragon, Alexander, Smart, Choi, (Dykas)

However, they may change since Manny will be driving one van and I'll probably handle the other:

Van 1 (Legs 1-6, 13-18, 25-30) -- Mondragon
Van 2 (Legs 7-12, 19-24, 31-36) -- Walk

This is all part of the fun! :)

Sports quote of the day: "Most people don't realize that athletes are human beings, made of flesh and blood. You just don't wind them up like a toy, and expect them to never run down."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home