Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Run To Rodney: The Texas Independence Relay

I'm running tomorrow and Sunday to get to the San Jacinto Monument to hear Rodney Hayden play after we're done running 203.67 miles from Gonzales.

Man, we've been talking about this for almost nine (9) months and we're now under 24 hours from starting our run! Of course, Coppell's Scott Eppelman has already started and I assume that Dr. Chris Rampacek has too. (I believe Dallas' Rochelle Frazeur was a scratch.)

I'm really hoping this all goes well for Jay and Joy Hilscher. They are such great people and they've thrown their heart and soul (soles too!) into this. This event, I believe, will never have a "corporate feel" to it - even with their presenting sponsor, Luke's Locker.

It's too bad that J.D., Barbara and Jessica won't be able to complete the journey with us, but we're looking forward to Tommy, Katy and Adrienne doing their best and have a blast with us this weekend.

We made a last-minute leg switch that makes our projected time to finish go up from 31:07 to 31:14. Joe will now be running the short leg 8 and I'll be taking on a few more miles in leg 10, but this is being done to ensure Mr. Carey can make all three legs at his projected pace. (That's still about 30 minutes ahead of Bill's team's projected pace.)

I still think the story of this team is pretty incredible. We have runners from Pasadena to Lufkin, Huntsville to Lake Jackson and many points in between. It's hard to believe that the first "Blogger" gathering was almost three summers ago at Run The Woodlands 5K. Jessica, Vic, Sam Rodriguez, Sarah, Edwin and I'm not sure who else was there, and then we had a bigger group in December 2005.

We've had some great times together and this weekend will simply add to it!

If you're reading this, it is because you're my friend and while you may disagree with me and some of my opinions and viewpoints, you'd never stab me in the back!

P.S. -- Bill, after being wiped out all week, I got in a 40-minute progression run on the treadmill last night, picking up the pace every 5 minutes. Take your Durango hat with you. Mine's already in the van. It will look good on the post-race pictures with Rodney!

5 Comments:

Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

I'm fired up! Bags already packed. I just hope I wake up at 1:30 AM Saturday. Do we need to call Sarah and wake her up??

7:26 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I'm counting on Dave to make sure you're ready to go.

But wait, the race isn't in Clear Lake ... so Sarah's good for this!

I should be getting some sleep now. I didn't get much on 6E this morning on the red-eye, even with it being first class.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Bill D said...

It was kind of cool that we were almost on the toll road at the same time this morning.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Gaslight ;-) said...

Good luck Bloggers! Tear it up!

1:48 PM  
Blogger doug spence said...

JUST because we wouldn't stab you in the back, DOESN'T mean we wouldn't push you or taze you to the pavement.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home