Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Half Marathon That Wasn't!

Everything was looking good for tomorrow's Germantown Half Marathon in Tennessee until there was going to be a delay in my flight from Houston to Shreveport.

The flight was originally scheduled to leave at 2:25 p.m. out of Terminal A. A flight, heading to Tyler, had boarded before us, but no real word of what was going on with our flight. Eventually, we were told that we'd be departing at 2:50 p.m. However, as that time approached, it was very evident that we wouldn't begin boarding until after that - and the gate agents (not Continental employees because this was Colgan Air flying as Continental Connection) only knew what they were being told.

I was talking to a guy that was from there and he thought for sure that there were plenty of Shreveport to Memphis flights on Northwest. The flight from Shreveport was due to leave at 4:20 p.m. -- just 50 minutes from the scheduled arrival.

I called Northwest. No surprise. There were no other flights this evening after the one that I was scheduled to be on.

Sooooo ... doing the math, it would mean that we'd get there late, I'd miss the flight and be stranded in Shreveport for the night. Ugh!

What do I do? Call Continental to see if I can cancel the flight - since I was on Reward Travel (and because I'm a Platinum member) anyways. They were able to cancel the flight, and I'll have to wait until Monday to see if the miles got redeposited.

Checking here at 5:40 p.m., it looks as if they left at 3:18 p.m. and arrived at 4:13 p.m., according to the Continental web site. Northwest's website say that they left the gate at 4:35 p.m., but haven't taken off yet.

So maybe I would have made it ... but, I didn't want to lose the miles only to get to Shreveport and couldn't get to Memphis in time for the race on Sunday morning (which started at 7:30 a.m.)
Oh well. Another day.

[Funny story though. When I called Northwest and was telling her what I needed to find out, the young woman asked, "What state is Shreveport in?" I looked at the guy standing next to me and I'm sure that I had this flabbergasted look on me. Can you believe? I wonder if they're offshoring.]

2 Comments:

Blogger Vince A. said...

So you will need to run 13.1 today!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Katy Lampson said...

Danged logistics!

See you at Hog's Hunt?

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home