Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Resurrection Run 5K on Saturday

I really hope to not embarass myself any further.

Two years ago, I ran this course in 29:33 (as Johnny Run). Perhaps it was an out-of-body experience.

Last year, the gun time was 30:25. (I believe that it was Jose's first 5K ever last year as he finished in 34:27) My effort really must have sucked because I didn't even blog about it. I'm hoping things don't get worse. If so, I guess they'll get worse before they get better, right?

I do this race because it's cheap. $15 (not counting the online registration fee). Plus, Jay Lee does a great job putting on races and really aims to take care of the runners. The only thing I absolutely HATE about the course is the wicked "run beyond where you turn in for the home stretch, do a U-turn and come back".

My good friend, Shelley Stephenson, who I haven't seen in quite some time, is going to run the race tomorrow. (Veronica: If you read this, you aren't supposed to say anything to Vera.) She may end up kicking my ass. Who knows?

And I'll have a potential of a challenge to face tomorrow revolving around something that happened two weeks ago that crossed the line of appropriate adult behavior.

I think Waverly and I are going to run over to Tomball Friday evening to see our good friend, Rodney Hayden, at the Main Street Crossing. $12 cover.

Finally, I'm setting the over/under of how many people I know or recognize at the Resurrection Run 5K at 60. (Please understand that I'm not bragging here. For what I do, I have a responsibility to try and know as many people as I possibly can. It makes my reporting and commentary that much more sound the more people that I know and/or know of.) I'll have the red-headed princess keep track (since she can't do any running for a month to try and work out her shin splints issues.) Put your guess in a comment - over 60 or under 60 and guess the number.

3 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

I love the Resurrection Run. I wish I was gonna be there. I need to move back to that area.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I expect to be there tomorrow. Thought I might be going to Corpus, but Jose is sick and if we're not traveling, I don't want to miss the first run of the BARC 5K challenge!

We'll see if I can beat Jose's time from last year... It was his 3rd 5K.

I'm so not in shape right now.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Crosstrain said...

Let's see there will be about 250 people there, Jon will know 90% of them....well make that 20% of them, plus a few spouses, call it 58.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home