Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, March 21, 2008

This Week's Schedule - Updated

As I've stated before, I've been running a lot on the treadmill.

I'm hoping to use it to facilitate me running more often, which in turn I hope will help me to start dropping a pound or two here and there. The other thing about running on the treadmill is that I get a chance to read a lot - for enjoyment.

That being said, here's the schedule for this week that I'm going to try and my best to keep.

Monday: 35 minutes - treadmill (3 easy) Missed, but I had an optional pass from my coach when I turned my schedule in for the week.
Tuesday: 90 minutes - treadmill (8~ easy) 100 minutes; didn't want to make it up all in one bite :)
Wednesday: 60 minutes - treadmill (simulate 400s; harder) Skipped. See below.
Thursday: 60 minutes - treadmill (5.5 easy) 32:25, first pass ... and 40 minutes, second pass. :)
Friday
: Rest
Saturday: 5K in Nassau Bay (3.1 hard)
Sunday: 120 minutes - treadmill (10.9 easy)

I've been wimping out on Mondays because of the travel, but I may be on the bench (consulting-speak for "not on a project") soon and then I won't have any excuse.

Let's see how I do.

Tuesday, 3/18: I read Sports Illustrated (with the Brett Favre cover) in 78 minutes and 29 seconds (and this didn't include the ads). Really got into a nice zone in the last 20 minutes that felt as if I could have gone for quite a bit longer. Did 4.4 mph for the first 60 minutes (less 4.3 mph to open up the first 10 minutes) and then followed with 4.5 mph for the last 40. Got started into Trail Runner and had Economist waiting in the wings (to read while running).

Note to myself: I need to budget some time to work some weights into the arms.

Thursday, 3/20: Earlier today, my nose was completely stuffed up and I had a runny nose and the sniffles. Last night (Wednesday), I worked late - have been working regularly from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (with a break for dinner) but laid down at 11 p.m. completely wiped out. I remember waking up just once before 7:30 a.m.

I took two Tylenol Cold tablets in the early afternoon and they helped me to breathe a bit easier. I waited until 11:40 p.m. to start running. I had the incline at 1.0 and started at 4.3 mph for 10 minutes, and then started to bump it .1 mph for each 10 minutes. When I got to 4.6 mph, past 30 minutes, I started to not feel well - and didn't know if I was going to ... hurl or get light-headed. So I decided the wisest thing was to come upstairs and tell you all about it.

Actually Friday, 3/21: I went back down to the treadmill at about 1:35 a.m. Pacific time and got in 40 minutes. I picked up where I left off - at 4.6 mph and did the same thing: upped it .1 mph every 10 minutes. I ended at 4.9 mph. So I ended running at around 2:15 a.m. - or 4:15 a.m. Central time. Plus I needed to read more of The Economist. It gave me one thing - and only one thing - that I could say that I might just be a little bit better at than Ms. Presidente. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

well....how did you do today?

9:31 PM  
Blogger Gaslight ;-) said...

I enjoy the Economist but don't think I could stomach it whil trying to stay on a treadmill...

9:46 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

Note to you: Where's the report from Wednesday's workout?

6:59 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

The report was: the start of a cold that I'm trying to fight today that wiped me out last night. It was more than eight hours in bed last night. :)

7:02 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

ok....i can accept that.

9:07 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

And you are the Dalai Lama of running?!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home