Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, June 06, 2008

Marathons for Manna Worldwide

At Sunday's The Woodlands Running Club general membership meeting, half marathon state chaser Patrick Morein noted that I had been doing a few more marathons recently.

I explained that I had and there was a reason for doing so, and now is as good of time as ever to reveal the reason for trying to run more than a few marathons!

I'm going to attempt to run all - or a majority of - Texas' 16 road marathons during the 2008-2009 marathon cycle to raise money for Manna Worldwide - a ministry that the church in which I attend is affiliated with. (In fact, our Pastor and a team of about 9-10 left on Sunday for a missions trip to Kenya and Tanzania.)

Basically, this ministry goes in and builds feeding centers to feed children - and to spread the Gospel. As a nation, despite all of our real and perceived problems, we're pretty blessed. I can't imagine what it is like to go for any length of time without eating.

I don't know what the fundraising structure will be (dollars per marathon, etc.), but we'll work those details soon. What I will ask of those of you (or to share with people that you may know) is to run one of these 16 marathons with me - i.e. at my pace (not just travel with me)!

Some of you have the resources to be able to travel with me to more of the remote marathons (El Paso, Hidalgo, Alpine and Lamesa), and if you can that would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the schedule that I'm aware of:

Saturday, October 18 - Marathon 2 Marathon, Alpine
Sunday, October 26 - Miracle Match Marathon, Waco
November 11 ('07) - Fort Worth Marathon, Fort Worth
Sunday, November 16 - Rock 'n' Roll Marathon, San Antonio
Sunday, December 7 - Fiesta Marathon, Hidalgo
Sunday, December 14 - White Rock Marathon, Dallas
Thursday, January 1 - Texas Marathon, Kingwood
Sunday, January 18 - Chevron Houston Marathon, Houston
Saturday, February 14 - Surfside Marathon, Surfside Beach
Sunday, February 15 - AT&T Austin Marathon, Austin
Saturday, February 28 - Cowtown Marathon, Fort Worth
March 2 ('07) - El Paso Marathon, El Paso
March 16 ('07) - Seabrook Lucky Trails Marathon, Seabrook
March 29 ('07) - Great H.O.G.G. Race, Lamesa
Sunday, April 5 - Big-D Texas Marathon, Dallas
Saturday, April 11 - Davy Crockett Bear Chase, Groveton

My biggest concerns are the costs associated with getting to Hidalgo, El Paso and Lamesa -- and running Surfside and Austin on back-to-back days. (I may need some serious help in Austin!)

I sent an e-mail to Steve and Paula Boone about people running Texas marathons in a particular marathon season and I didn't hear anything back from them; however, I did touch base with The Woodlands' Lou Wilson, who made a shot at running them all a couple of years ago.

"Between 10/04 and 4/05, I ran 9 marathons in Texas," he said. "From 10/05 to 4/06, with the addition of Waco, I ran 10 marathons in the state and got two jackets from Roger Soler for doubling the TMC."

"That gave me 28 marathons in Texas. All 36 since then have been out-of-state."


For the record, Lou will reach, I think, career marathon no. 100 at the Chevron Houston Marathon is what I think his wife, Nora, told me the other day.

With this effort, I plan on deferring my plan to complete my first 100-miler at Rocky Raccoon until 2010. (Maybe there'll be a few of you who will be ready to run it with me. Right?)

I'm going to give this my best shot. I hope that you'll join me at one of the stops on the journey.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

hmmmm interesting. I will have to think about this.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Katy Lampson said...

I'll help wherever you need me. I signed up for Austin yesterday. I just can't skip that race! It's a killer, but I love that town! I'd be glad to help you limp to the finish there. After running Surfside the day before you might could use some help?!

I'm also considering Marathon 2 Marathon....just let me know where I'm needed.

6:27 AM  
Blogger K said...

Hey Jon,
What an awesome thing you have planned! One day, maybe, I can do that too!

For now, I can be at San Antonio, Kingwood, and possibly Houston. I am registered for SA and Houston right now.

I will be happy to do the 100 with you in 2010. That's right on course for me!

I'll see if my coach will let me squeak out any others along the way.

7:29 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

i want to do the kingwood one new year's day.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon - are you actually going to try to run Surfside and Austin Back to Back?

We were able to vote on the date for Surfside this year. We wanted 2-07-09. Maybe we can get a recount.

We definitely will be able to join you at San Antonio, Texas, Houston, Surfside, Seabrook, Davy Crockett, and likely White Rock, since it is a week after SunMart. That will hit our Texas quota for 2008/2009

But, we might just follow your lead for Austin.

Ron

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home