Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Why I Have The Best TIR Teams in the World

Since we added the second TIR team and registered by October 31, The Battling Bloggers of The Texas Republic have had to go to the well eight (8) times to replace a runner on our squads - one-third of our roster.

And while I was writing this, I've gotten word of a potential ninth! Ugh! LOL

I must say though that I'm blessed with great friends who have great friends and even though we lost another early this week, we've plugged in another.

In review, here is who we've lost:

Nick Bellnoski (hip injury)
Niki Bellnoski (Luke's Locker is making her work at the Katy store that weekend)
Keith Kelleher (continued graduate school work)
Joe Carey (achilles followed by a broken collarbone from a bike accident)
Erin Foley (injury setback after a fine Aramco Half Marathon performance)
Barbara Boone (family issues)
Karen Felicidario (family issues)
Christy Gonzales (husband surprising her with a trip to Vegas; family issues!)

We've been able to plug in, as follows:

Gary Kunkel
Jill Boston
Jakeb Stunz
Wes Heinlein
Allyson York
Patrick Morein
Kori Estrada
Natali Davis

Now the story gets better.

After Adrienne rattled off a 3:05:24 marathon less than a month ago at Chevron Houston Marathon, she was propositioned - in a good way, of course - by a multitude of The Woodlands Running Club teams at the club post-Marathon social at Goose's Acre.

She was unmoved.

This week, much in the same fashion that we've endured setbacks, last year's champion, "The Road Killers", lost two of their female runners. Their captain e-mailed and asked, "Any chance we can draft Adrienne?"

I e-mailed Adrienne with the following:

"I wouldn't want to hold you back if you wanted to make a switch, but I think that there would be a lot of bummed out people on our two teams. Your personality means a lot more - I think - than your speed even though it was very beneficial to us beating Bill's team last year."

I also made reference that we've been able to rock right along.

Adrienne's response?

"Well, rock on we shall! I love my team and wouldn't change! It is definitely a flattering note, especially since I know of an actual Andrea (Bookout) who's faster. Anyhow hope all's going well with you and talk to you soon."

There you have it! Again I'm blessed to have the teams that I have participating.

We may, though, be looking for one more runner. Anything can happen in the last three weeks!

4 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

We do have the best team in the world! I'm sure we'll have even better stories to tell when it's all said and done this year as well.

1:11 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

i love our team.

5:51 PM  
Blogger K said...

I'm hoping to be at the finish line, even though I can't run with you all this time....

8:54 PM  
Blogger elf said...

I hope you all have a great time! I still haven't run a step since the half. I've been working the PT as hard as I can, but the progress seems to have stopped. I'm going back to the doc next week--hopefully we'll be able to figure this out and I'll be back on the roads in the next couple of weeks...

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home