Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Few Thursday Sports Shorts

I don't necessarily hate running like my friend, Joe Breda. And I'm not going to compete against the new "Sports Junkie"; however, there were a few things that I felt worthy to bring up (since I don't stray off course too much here).

1. Yes, we're still celebrating the fact that 2005 was a great year for Pennsylvania football -- the Pittsburgh Steelers winning the Super Bowl and the Penn State Nittany Lions being back in the national mix of things. (Shhh! I didn't say anything about the Temple Owls.)

2. According to my father, who was at last Saturday's Astros FanFest and the College Baseball Classic (Jen ... this is what the lines were for around Minute Maid Park on Saturday), the last question asked of Astros owner Drayton McLane and broadcaster (and rah-rah! leader) Milo Hamilton was from a 10-year-old boy. It was simple and to the point, "Why did the Astros fire Alan Ashby?"

2a. Speaking of Milo. I will buy or read the 79-year-old broadcaster's new book whenever he - and the Astros - stop calling him a "Hall of Fame broadcaster!" He's not. Look it up. He won an award - the Ford C. Frick Award. Even the Hall of Fame's web site says, "Each award recipient (not to be confused with an inductee) ...." So why do we allow them to perpetuate the fraud?

3. Before his sports segments many nights, we're entertained going into the commercial break by Giff Nielsen doing some type of sports activity on the set. Hmmm ... let's see, if one of the anchors can pound out a marathon surely Giff could clear a hurdle on the set!

4. I'm not the biggest soccer fan in the world. Well, frankly, I'm not a fan of the game period. I primarily understand the game and appreciate the talents and skills needed to play it; however, I think the name - Houston 1836 - was just fine. I don't understand why the ownership is acquiescing on the issue. I don't understand why certain community groups are lamenting over a war that took place 170 years ago that helped secure us the freedoms on this land that we are enjoying today.

Are they really changing it because it offends a group? Or are they considering changing it to ensure that they'll come out and spend their hard earned dollars? I think it is more of the latter than the former. When the name was announced, I took it for what it was: the year that the city of Houston was founded. End of story.

5. John McEnroe at the age of 47 is back on the ATP tour and winning doubles matches at the San Jose, California tour stop. Can we guarantee that George Foreman doesn't find out anything about it?

6. Slovakia? Latvia? I'm no hockey expert either, but I do know that the United States and Russia met in the semifinals of the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, New York. And 26 years later, they're losing to a couple of "vowels" countries in their first games? How times have changed.

Ok, and a non sports short or two ...

1. George. Please. If you're going to give a speech about health care at Wendy's, at least you could have rode your mountain bike into the press conference and peeled off your helmet. (Since you've given up running, that is.) Give Clinton a little bit of credit in this area. At least when he was photographed near a McDonald's, Bill was in his running gear and was either jogging to or from one.

2. But, at the same time, it was kind of fun to see the establishment - and entitled - White House press corps up in arms because "their" supposed scoop of Buckshot Cheney was handed to a non-big city Texas newspaper, the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. And Dick, here's $7. I'm not racing this weekend. Go buy that darned stamp!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home