Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

What's Going On?

Yes, it's been a little quiet around here as I've done a lot of updating this week, while here in Pasadena, on the RunHouston Chronicle blog.

If you aren't a subscriber of Runner Triathlete News, I'd encourage you to pick up a copy of the October edition either in your running specialty store or at Barnes & Noble. It's worth the $5, I promise. :) If you don't enjoy my "Talking The Talk" column this month, I'll personally refund you your $5. How's that for a bargain?

I was banged up on Sunday and there is absolutely no way that I could have run the United Space Alliance 10-Miler. Congratulations to Karen and Ron Berglund of Kingwood - approved readers of this blog - who did both the Huntsville Half and the Space City 10-Miler.

I also ended up picking up my first cold of the season and am still battling it. Monday, I was completely wiped out, and last night, I just didn't feel like doing much.

However, this evening, I made it to Bally's - after a mile-plus walk to and from dinner (well, breakfast at IHOP) - and got 45 minutes on the stationery bike. I would have made it to an hour ... but I couldn't contend with the running nose. Plus about 30 minutes into the workout, I shifted myself on the bike and thought that I was going to really pull the left calf muscle ... so I took it a bit easy until I was sure that I wouldn't mess that one up to go with the right calf muscle that really cramped up on me on Saturday in Huntsville.

So I may try to do something in the morning, as I have the red-eye flight home Friday morning from LAX. Waverly has a volleyball game Thursday evening (which I'll miss) and then two on Friday.

She's playing with the "A" team on Friday in a tournament. They'll only have six (6) girls so she'll get to play two (2) entire games. She's been out of action for the last two weeks with an injury to her tendon in her right leg and she's been easing back into it this week.

I'm excited that I'll get to see her play two games - and if they win, at least another one on Saturday.

This blog is becoming more about Waverly than it is about me, but she made straight A's the first six (6) weeks and she's been selected to take either the SAT or ACT - as a 7th grader - as part of the Duke Talent Identification Program.

Actually, she'll take the ACT on December 8th. I signed her up online Wednesday evening (after I had a chance to speak with the counselor in charge of the program for the school earlier today). It is an opportunity that she is being given based on her performance on the TAKS test last year in the math section.

We've agreed that this isn't something that she is either 1.) going to attempt to study for or 2.) stress over. I just never want to put pressure on her to perform. I figure that she'll rise to the occasion and she has in so many ways - and has done so with grace and class.

I was moved up from Kindergarten to first grade - and actually school officials wanted to move me all the way to second grade (however, my parents - rightfully so - said no); however, I had a lot of pressure from my Dad to meet certain expectations. And he failed to realize that my buttons weren't pushed in the same way that he thought that they should have been.

I vowed a long time ago that I wouldn't put that kind of pressure on her. We have an agreement and that is if she can look me in the eye and tell me - and her Mom - that she did her best, I'll accept whatever grade she comes home with. I congratulate her, love her and tell her that she did a good job and to keep up the good work; however, that is one area (and she doesn't have access to this right now) that I really don't brag openly to other people about. Because I don't want her to feel any undue pressure.

That gets me caught up to ... talking about the Space City 10-Miler on Sunday and the Huntsville Half on Saturday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

I took the ACT in 7th grade too. My mom handled it the same way. No study, no pressure, just show up and see what you can do. It was when I took it again as a senior that I panicked- what if I score lower than I did in 7th grade! LOL!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I took the SAT in 7th grade. And thus was instilled my desire to go to Duke. It last from 7th grade until about 11th grade, when I realized it was too expensive and didn't have aerospace anyway! :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

So ... if I didn't take either in the 7th grade (and I'm 10-11 years older than both of you!), and she has this increased knowledge ... does that mean she got it from ... no!? :) LOL

11:59 AM  
Blogger K said...

Jon,
You have every right as a proud parent to brag about your daughter, especially on your own blog!

She is a great girl who has a great dad and mom. I'll be keeping her is good thought as she takes the test. I know she'll do very well!

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home