Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Late Saturday Morning Treadmill

Another day, another hour. 60 minutes. 36-and-so at 4.6 mph and the rest at 4.8 mph.

Despite not getting up to drive down to the Heights and hang out at the Heights Fun Run 5K, I really had a wonderful morning. I'm so blessed to be a part of our sports and the people that I know it who are a part of.

After dropping Waverly off for her last day of volleyball camp at close to 9 a.m., I stopped to fill up with gas, went to Barnes and Noble in The Woodlands to get some reading material for the treadmill (SI and one of the Big 12 college football magazines) and then I headed towards Luke's Locker on Market Street. This is where I found the individual that I had been trying to call for the last day and a half -- Bill Dwyer!

Missy Baugh, Debbie Tripp, Bill and Kim Hager were sharing with me the opening day success of the Fall Marathon/Half Marathon Woodlands Fit training program. 70 runners kicked off the program with their main target being the San Antonio Marathon (however, a couple of their runners are doing the Chicago or the New York City Marathon).

We all walked over to Berryhill's on Market Street for a bit of late breakfast. (Since I hadn't run yet, and had something light from when I filled up with gas, I just had some water.)

We then worked our way back towards Luke's Locker where I conversed the usual entourage of Luke's employees, which today included Dave Smart, Rick Cook, Mary Kerschbuam, Cathy Steele, Andrea Kaylor (College Park High School girls cross country coach) and Allison Cravey.

Bill and I arranged with store manager Mick Long and Rick Cook about how we want to stage Run The Woodlands 5K next Saturday. Basically, after the finish, we'll have our Friends of the Running Community announcement, the awarding of the Saw Trophy and then the post-race goodies giveaways from Luke's. (Bill and I will set up, work the chutes, and do the results next Saturday.)

Then I went to Bally's, worked on the treadmill, and set up my first Personal Trainer visit for Friday morning at 9 a.m. My goal is to get stronger in my arms, legs and core.

Today, I feel very empowered in the goals that I'm setting for myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Good luck with the PT!

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home