Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bally's Workout / Park to Park Run

I could have run Park to Park Run and probably should have (but I needed a break.)

I did, however, get more practice shooting a race with my camera. I think I got some pretty good stuff. I put a little of it up on Facebook. I think I took over 500 pictures!

Talked to John Hedengren, Peggy Yetman, Sabra Harvey (she may have set a new single age mark for 5 miles today and she turns 60 before the Bayou City Classic 10K), Wilmer Bustillos and John Yoder at length.

Saw one of my TIR teammates, Becky Spaulding, and talked with another, Jeremy Webb. The big day is two weeks away!

Waverly and I found the mile 1 marker, stayed there until the lead runners came through and I shot some pictures for a minute. We then ran to the truck, saw the lead runners go through mile 2 and then went and parked at Jackson and Ewing before running to the finish line.

I was in plenty of time to see Luis Armenteros being followed by Colin Carroll and Hedengren.

TWRC was well represented by Stephen Smith, Nancy Prejean, Evan Guy, Pam Meaux, Ron Longtin, Geri Henry and Lynette Pebernat.

We got out of there and had breakfast at Egg and I in The Woodlands, and then I ended up - around 3 p.m. - at Bally's to run an hour on the treadmill and put another 40 minutes on the stationary bike.

If I were a smart man, I'd start writing some things, including my Courier column for Monday, but it is my weekend to relax, right? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home