Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Busy, But Fun Weekend Ahead

Woo hoo! Run The Woodlands 5K #143: The Bloggers #2 Edition is just about 9 hours away! (Special thanks to Bill Dwyer for getting Keith Kelleher a route that he can get in a long run and still run the 5K with us on Saturday!)

After RTW, I'll be hosting the Bloggers to breakfast at my house! Waverly has a basketball game at our church Saturday afternoon at 5 p.m. (In between, I'll need to get results up and online from RTW.)

Then Sunday gets even more hectic. I'll be running the Houstonian Lite 30K (18.6 miles) while Waverly will work the Strider water stop with Cassie, Jessica and one of my favorite all-time Striders, John Yoder. (I'll get tired running by him thinking that the day before that he ran 50 miles at Sunmart! 50K for me next year!)

With the cold weather, my goal is to run between 3:06 and 3:25 (between 10 and 11 minutes per mile). Last year, I ran it in 3:30:19 - a 11:18/mile pace. If I hit my goal, I'll sign up by next Sunday for the Texas Marathon in Kingwood on New Year's Day.

(Kudos to Andy Stewart of Finish Line Sports regarding the 30K. Registration today for that event was $32. $35 for late registration minus a healthy $3 for being a HARRA member. Thanks Andy!)

I'm not sure of the logistics (getting a shower and all); however, Waverly and I will do the Jingle Bell Run 5-Mile event downtown at 3 p.m. (Waverly will have all four bells on her feet and it will be a hard run for her. For some fun, I think I just might drag Joe Paterno along with me for the run! What a picture that will be! I hope Sarah gets a good shot of it!)

Best wishes to those running Sunmart, White Rock Marathon (and Half), the 30K and the Jingle Bell Run!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home