Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Big Heartwarming, Half Marathon Story Missed!

I got an e-mail the other day saying, "Oh! Nice mention of Waverly in Inside Texas Running’s marathon section this month!" I was a little embarrassed. Dad hadn't seen it.

My curiosity last evening got the better of me after I got back from the gym and the post office as I went to Memorial Park to purchase a copy out of the rack in front of the Tennis Center. (Psst ... it is $1.50 - bring your quarters - there as opposed to buying it at Luke's.) The mention was nice, brief and to the point. And, of course, Dad was appreciative.

A WALK IN THE PARK: Ten-year-old Waverly Walk finished the Aramco Houston Half Marathon in 2:54:06, making her one of the youngest finishers in the half marathon's history. Shelby Zimmerman and Mia Bloomer, both eight years old, became the youngest finishers in the five-year history of the half.

Well, as I was scanning the Chronicle's archives, looking for a name of a runner who finished the first 25 Houston marathons that I saw earlier in the day, the first page of the search came up with the following: "6-year-old Shelby Zimmerman". I thought to myself, "That's odd. It can't be." When I clicked on the link and read the story, I realized that it was and then I knew exactly where things were headed.

The story was about a 13-year-old boy named Chase McGowan. Two years ago, the article stated that he became the first Texan and 14th person in the United States to undergo a complicated lung-liver transplant. It also stated that like most of the other patients, Chase had cystic fibrosis.

Chase's aunt, Kim Zimmerman, then a veteran of eight marathons, ran the 2004 hp Houston Marathon as a fund raiser for his care, posting a time of 3:43:41 and raising $225 per mile.

The article, of course, was two years old. I again wondered to myself what had transpired since. So I entered "Chase McGowen Medical Assistance Fund" in a search engine and came across the website, http://www.helpingchase.com/.

And one link made me realize that I wish that I would have known of the story sooner because I would have made sure that it got passed on to the appropriate individuals - instead of Waverly.

On the following link, http://www.helpingchase.com/updates.html, appears the following e-mail:

Saturday, January 14 , 2006
Email from Shelby and Kim Zimmermann

Good Morning to All! I write to you to let you know what Shelby is going to be doing in less than 24 hours. She will be running the HOUSTON 1/2 Marathon! She decided back in October that she wanted to attempt this 13.1 mile adventure. I did NOT suggest this. She began to put in her miles and get serious about her goal. In November, we attended an assembly to honor Chase as the Texas Spokesperson for The Children's Miracle Network (see Carol's story below, and the pictures). Governor Rick Perry was the speaker who described what a hero Chase has been. We got to talking about running with the Governor, and realized he would be in Houston with his friend, the Governor of Arkansas for the 1/2 Marathon. Well, as if to stand in honor of Chase and solidify our support of him, Governor Perry asked Shelby to start the Half Marathon with him. At noon yesterday, the secret service agents called to confirm our plans to run! : )

SO, at 7am Sunday, January 15th, we will run! Run because we can! Run to honor Chase. Run to show our support for the daily battle he still fights! If you would like to join us in support, Shelby is asking for:
- Prayers for her Cousin Chase
- Prayers for her 8 year old body to feel GREAT tomorrow.
- Donations for Chase's Medical assistance fund -- just $1 / mile would be a donation of $13.10. Please consider this.
- Send this email onto others you know that may offer their support.

Last week, her 3rd grade class began a research project about an "Important Person." Shelby has selected Chase. He truly is important! Please take a look at his web site and see what all he has conquered. www.helpingchase.com.

To start this new year, Chase got test results indicating a LEVEL II rejection of his lungs. They are aggressively treating this. We are praying for our God to continue to work miracles in Chase's body. And we are in AWE at the courage and strength that Chase takes on yet another battle. I thank you for your time to read this letter. I appreciate all the prayers and support through the years. I ask for your prayer support tomorrow.

Blessings to you and your family, Shelby and Kim Zimmermann

Shelby and her mom, Kim, finished the half marathon last month in 2:20:41!

Sure, Waverly worked hard and was deserving of all of the attention she received. However, this little girl, Shelby Zimmerman, and her older cousin, Chase McGowan, deserved - and deserve, in the present tense - much, much more of the spotlight for ALL of the right reasons.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Wow...thanks for sharing that Jon. I'm passing this along to anyone I know....great post, and thanks again for finding this then telling us about it.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home