Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Slacker Extraordanaire

It's Wednesday afternoon here in Pasadena, California, where yesterday afternoon we saw the first of any smoke coming from farther west in Malibu.

The sky started to fill with smoke - or rather the ashes - between 3 and 4 p.m. Pacific time on Tuesday, and you could feel the effect even inside buildings as my eyes began to burn.

In the parking lot across the street, I began to see an Explorer with a satellite dish mounted on top as well as yellow tape being cordoned off. Then I saw guys in military fatigues, and was soon told that FEMA was stationed in the building, and that even during Katrina two years ago, they commandeered a good bit of the surface lot to do work (my manager said he had heard that they were simply doing a lot of data entry).

As I went back to the hotel last night, I saw a couple of guys coming out of the Marriott Courtyard. Therefore, it is obvious that they've brought folks in.

Back to working out .... what's that!? My weight is creeping up a little bit. I can tell in a t-shirt or two. So, I've got to get my ass into gear. Sunday afternoon, I went to Bally's in The Woodlands to bike for approximately 50 minutes; however, I haven't done any running since the Huntsville Half Marathon.

And the check is going to get cashed this weekend as I'm doing a "pre-Texas Independence Relay" with Jay and Joy Hilscher.

By the time I get here, work (until 10 p.m. Pacific) and eat, I'm typically wiped out on Mondays. I had a plan to go to the gym last night, but it got tossed aside when I got back to the hotel room (which was after 10 p.m.) I had worked until a little past 8 p.m.

So, today, I've got to do something significant later tonight; however, I just got back in from walking some. The plan is to go at 12 noon, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. and walk a little more than a mile each time -- yes, in a dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes. However, this is just to get out of the office.

12:45 p.m. -- 1.16 miles (21:55.91 - before you laugh, there are 6 intersections that I cross and I don't stop the watch ... lol)

I owe you all a few posts, including recaps on the Huntsville Half Marathon and the United Space Alliance 10-Miler.

2 Comments:

Blogger doug spence said...

Hey, man, it's okay. I know you're doing what you can to make sure your dollars will be well spent come January.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw Bill out at the 1/2 this past weekend and he told me about the "pre-Texas Indenpendence Relay"!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home